1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Memphis Grizzlies beat writer

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Tommy Deas, Jan 8, 2020.

1. Journo27

Journo27 New Member

Wonder if Ja’s recent run is spiking the number of applications

2. Jetlife

Jetlife New Member

Probably so. Don't remember this much excitement around the team even during the Zbo days. Also FWIW I saw this reposted again on Indeed this week, so I'm assuming they're still taking applications.

3. Tommy Deas

Tommy Deas Member

Yes you can email me. I am the hiring manager. But I do point out that it asks above that all material be included in one document.

4. Tommy Deas

Tommy Deas Member

I will not be reaching out to all candidates. Frankly, there are too many to do so. I do not have a firm timetable on this -- the process will take as long as needed to identify and land the right candidate. If I do a phone or later line up an in-person interview, I'll reach out to you at that time.

Edward Marlowe and RonClements like this.
  5. MiamiBoy

MiamiBoy Active Member

It does, but I applied on the Indeed application prior to see this post on here. Thank you for the help.

6. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

Largest sports staff in the country!

maumann likes this.
  7. OldSoul92

OldSoul92 New Member

I'm curious how much travel is involved with this position, especially in light of that recent news The Oklahoman no longer covers every Thunder road game. (FWIW, I didn't see the interim beat writer for Memphis posting from Boston on Wednesday. But maybe he just forgot the dateline?)

8. studthug12

studthug12 Active Member

Code for, management hasn't approved a hire. Gannett shop probably won't make a move for a month yet.

cake in the rain likes this.
  9. Journo27

Journo27 New Member

Anyone hear any updates yet?

10. Riddick

Riddick Active Member

Studthug should stop talking out of his ass, since this position has been approved.
    Maybe Tommy just prefers to be thorough, especially coming off the Titans’ deep playoff run.

11. studthug12

studthug12 Active Member

Well duh this is a position that will be filled and would be approved, but probably "frozen." Been quite a few Gannett smaller shops - so not applicable here - where they approved hire, was frozen, and ultimately no one was hired and the job went away.

12. Jetlife

Jetlife New Member

Posting is no longer listed on the Gannett site. For the more experienced bunch on here, would I be right to assume they're moving on to the next step?

Draft saved Draft deleted