1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Atlantic on alcohol consumption

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Alma, Jan 14, 2020.

1. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

2. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

3. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Correct.

4. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

5. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

I don't find it hard at all to be around drinkers or drinking establishments as an abstainer.
    Ain't much fun, either. I'd rather be anywhere else, candidly.
    You really see how pointless the activity is.
    I left the sport on my own terms.

6. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

I prefer to drink at home. It's cheaper. The selection is perfect for what I like, there aren't any people I don't like there, my friends and I can play whatever we want, watch whatever we want and I have shot at getting some from that lady over on the couch! ;)

Neutral Corner, Batman and Alma like this.
  7. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

No link, but I'd guess sugar is responsbile for more annual chronic illness and early death than smoking and alcohol combined.

8. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

I never drink by myself. Never drink with just the family. I'm a 100% social drinker. I might now drink socially once a month. Never getting bombed. Like catching the buzz but I'm not hammering them anymore.

I also had a problem knowing when to stop drinking in the past. Lucky I didn't do more damage to myself.

Thirty years ago, pretty much all beer, with the exception of cheap wino beers, all had the same alcohol content. Now, you have to read that label. Three 7.6% is not like three 4.5%.

I also realize if I drink during the day, I will probably fall asleep watching TV at night, and I want to watch my shows. Now, please, get off my fucking lawn.

9. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

I mean, yeah, but it's really hard to abstain from everything that might kill you. 1 million people die a year on the roads. The only way to avoid that is never to be in a car or around one that might hit you as you cross the street.

10. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

That's just it. The recovery time is too forbidding.
    This is a math problem and the older you get the harder it is for the body to solve.
    When I was as old as 30 I could bound out of bed after a big night and go about my business with no issue.
    There was the pain and the roiling stomach and such for two hours and then it was gone. No mas.

11. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

In America, 32,000 people die and 1.3 million injured. Still staggering numbers.

12. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

Nonsensical comparison. Sugar's been a well-known poison for decades, and a political powerhouse as well. Read "Sugar Blues" by William Dufty.

Draft saved Draft deleted