1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The TV thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Versatile, Mar 28, 2013.

1. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

I wouldn't have wanted to watch Watchmen sans Lindelof, anyhow. Ended just fine.

sgreenwell likes this.
  2. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Watching it this weekend since HBO is free. I'll say one thing for the "alternative universe" - it's so weird it looks like the newspaper industry is doing just fine.

OK - finished it. So what was the deal with the Millenium Clock? And I while I don't think there are a bunch of dangling threads - but the entire season played like it was setting up something a lot more. They were doing backstory in eps 7 and 8 - seemed like the entire season seemed to be a set-up for something more rather than a closed and complete story.

I also have to think the first three episodes (the episodes that earned and deserved great reviews from the critics) promised something more than what transpired. I'm also suspicious of any season that includes nine episodes rather than 10, 12 instead of 13. Usually indicates they were overbudget or had other issues on the back half.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2020
  3. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

Outsider on HBO is great.

Cosmo likes this.
  4. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

I'm two episodes in, plan on catching last night's after work today. Great tension.

5. HC

HC Well-Known Member

Is it following the book pretty closely?

6. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

Never read the book.

A new character with pretty amazing mental abilities was introduced in the third episode. Bad guy is communicating through a child, good cop is conflicted, bad cop is really bad and will probably get much worse in next episode.

It’s 8-9 hours of TV, so I can’t see them leaving too much out.

HC likes this.
  7. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

I have questions about it, but I don’t want to spoil it.

Baseball coach’s dad seems very important.

Acting is spot on.

HC likes this.
  8. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

Just finished QB1 on Netflix. We've dumped DirecTV and switched to streaming with Fire Stick. I hadn't (still haven't) figured it out, so I ended up watching them backward. Season 3, then 2 then 1, there are 10 episodes in each, about a half-hour each. Each season focuses on the senior year of high school for 3 highly rated quarterbacks.
    Of the nine guys, I tried to decide if I liked them as people, or not. I pretty much liked the black guys and thought the white guys self-entitled jerks, especially the kid from Bishop Gorman in Las Vegas who went 45-0 in three years. Not across the board, but in general. It was just interesting to google the guys and see what's happening in college. Only two success stories, so far, but some are still sophomores or juniors. Only one success story at the original school he signed his letter of intent to attend.

9. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

I've been binge watching Black Sails. I've seen every episode numerous times, and it never gets old or tiresome for me.
    Everything about the series is right in my wheelhouse in terms of likes and interests.

My only beef with the whole show was they killed Blackbeard. Edward Teach was an actual historical character (as opposed to the Treasure Island characters in the show). We know the time, location, manner of death, and who killed him. None of it was right in the show. It would be like have David Crockett die at the Battle of New Orleans.

heyabbott likes this.
  10. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Been watching the Aaron Hernandez miniseries/documentary today while the laundry gets done. Fascinating in the story line and the amount of detail involved.

Also worth noting: Second season of Netflix's "Lost in Space" has dropped.

11. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

Thumbs up for The Outsider. Also have not read the book. But it’s a compelling show.

The new season of Curb Your Enthusiasm has started and the first episode is hysterical.

12. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

Stumptown is fun and good.

ChrisLong and sgreenwell like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted