1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports subjects you are just plain tired of

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by poindexter, Jan 16, 2020.

1. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Ours is the exact opposite. They get to be state champions and go to the regional tournaments because there are no other Little League affiliated leagues in the state.

Michael_ Gee likes this.
  2. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

I think Jessica Mendoza is a terrific analyst. I also think it’s absurd that ESPN allows her to work for a team while opining on the sport. Pick one.

Baron Scicluna and HanSenSE like this.
  3. misterbc

misterbc Well-Known Member

UFC.
    JMO but it’s a pretty tenuous connection to ‘sports’, closer to ‘legalized assault’. It actually makes boxing look v appealing. The baby of wrestling and boxing is one ugly kid.

BitterYoungMatador2 likes this.
  4. daytonadan1983

daytonadan1983 Well-Known Member

From my side, its the "small schools money game" retread each year. You know, we've been doing this a long time, don't you think we've learned how to make the most out a loss by now?

#2 was my famed golf team winning the National Minority Golf champsionship every year. The last straws were a twitter exchange with Bomani Jones -- "it's OUR tradition unlike any other" and some very right wing conservative blogger that said it proved how soft liberals are. Am glad tbey changed the name of the tournament...

5. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

That reminds me - WTF are legit sports sites doing covering wrasslin’!?! Chasing clicks?

6. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Well, for ESPN, the E stands for entertainment, so that’s their rationale.

For the others, it’s more like they cover the business aspects as if they would cover a TV show or movies, albeit with athletic actors and actresses.

And yes, chasing clicks too.

7. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

At the weigh in last night between McGregor and Cerrone, the meathead ESPN announcers were gleefully hoping that the two guys assaulted each other when they came chin to chin on the dais. Says all ya need to know about the sport top to bottom.

BitterYoungMatador2 likes this.
  8. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

DTGDTN!!

9. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

It puts "sport" into blood-sport. Why not cover it?

10. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Then how would we have list shows?
    But yeah, there comes a point -- especially in football, and especially when it comes to quarterbacks -- where all you can agree on is a rough top 5 or 10, and the rest after that is splitting hairs or personal preference.
    Brady, Manning, Unitas or Montana? You're doing pretty damn well if any of them are your starting quarterback.
    LeBron, Jordan or Kobe? Who the hell cares? Just because one might be a tick below the others in some people's minds doesn't lessen the fact that all three are all-time greats.

11. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

It's what wrestling was before the script writers got ahold of the sport.

12. misterbc

misterbc Well-Known Member

From the small sample I’ve seen I don’t see them pulling any punches.

Draft saved Draft deleted