1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Media member sells Kyle Rudolph's gloves on eBay

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by BurnsWhenIPee, Jan 8, 2020.

1. Tweener

Tweener Well-Known Member

Wonder if our boy was collecting confetti on the field in the Superdome last night.

2. Sports Barf

Sports Barf Well-Known Member

What a loser. Why does anybody get in twitter fights anymore

SixToe likes this.
  3. BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo

BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo Well-Known Member

Truth. All the cool kids are fighting on message boards. Still. Right?

4. Tweener

I’m late to this, but what’s the upside of getting into a Twitter feud with a star player on the team YOU COVER? That’s just plain stupid.

Flip Wilson likes this.
  5. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Is there any reason why this guy hasn't been outed yet?

6. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

Yeah, pretty shocked it today’s world we don’t know who this is.

7. Tweener

Wouldn’t reporters who were in the locker room know who it was?

8. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

The amount of people inside an NFL locker room after a playoff game is close to 100. Most people are trying to do their jobs, many of them on deadline, not play amateur detective after the fact. It actually doesn't surprise me that this happened without someone being able to ID him.

HanSenSE and PaperClip529 like this.
  9. PaperClip529

PaperClip529 Active Member

I'm also not sure that this is something that warrants a public outing. If I had witnessed the event and knew who the guy was, it might be worth an e-mail to the Saints or Vikings media relations teams but I don't know if I would be tweeting and writing about the guy's identity. Something about snitches, stitches and having better things to do with my time. And since a lot of good came out of this, I have a feeling that we care about this a lot more than Joe and Jane Fan.

10. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Thanks for checking in, Jessica Mendoza.

11. JRoyal

JRoyal Well-Known Member

We should care about this. This is the crap that feeds into the whole "journalists are scum" mentality a lot of people have. Outing him would at least show we care that there are repercussions when one of our own violates our code of ethics. If we think cops or politicians or others should out their own when they do bad things, we should out our own too. Yeah, it's on a different level, but same principle.

Tweener and SixToe like this.
  12. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Not so much disagreeing with you. What the person did was wrong, if Rudolph is telling the truth, so I don't know why anyone would feel compelled to protect him as a matter of choice.

But I do see a distinction from what you were saying. Cops and politicians signed up for jobs that make them beholden to the greater public, and they take oaths to serve the public trust. When one of them violates that trust, the expectation (even if it often isn't the reality) is that others who know about it will expose it. ... as a matter of serving the public trust.

Many journalists take themselves seriously and see what they are doing as a public service, but a journalist isn't beholden to the public in the same way: as a matter of law, as a matter of oath or as a matter of how they are compensated (by taxpayers).

Draft saved Draft deleted