1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2020 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame nominee screechfest

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Cosmo, Oct 15, 2019.

1. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

And inducting Notorious B.I.G. who wasn't even one of the 100 best rappers.

2. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

I don't know, to me Biggie's like Bo Jackson - a shooting star (no pun intended).
    Packed in the hits but didn't do it long enough.
    Through no fault of his own.

3. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

Come on, he gave hope to untold numbers of drug dealers who were aspiring to be rappers. I’m only half kidding. Guy was an enormous cultural influence.

4. misterbc

misterbc Well-Known Member

Haven’t the voters ever heard (of) Johnny Winter?

Huggy likes this.
  5. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Still no Little Feat.

Fuck'em.

6. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

...But no Snoop.
    also no Zevon, Soundgarden, Rage, Nine Inch Nails.........

It's just a joke.

7. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

T-Rex? One song played to death - "Bang a Gong" - and one great one you don't hear enough - "Jeepster" - ahead of Mott the Hoople? Disgraceful.

8. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

T. Rex also had 20th Century Boy, but more than that, they influenced a bunch of glam, punk and alternative bands.

Who did Mott the Hoople ever influence? Their main hit was written by Bowie and actually included a shout-out to T. Rex.

9. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

NIN just got elected.

10. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

At least Depeche Mode made it finally. Now gotta get Oingo Boingo in there. And, of course, Oasis.

11. cyclingwriter2

cyclingwriter2 Well-Known Member

I will draft of that. T-Rex would later get namechecked by The Who as well. Also, The Slider was a better album than Electric Warrior.

And as stated, the influence in England was huge.

12. Junkie

Junkie Well-Known Member

I thought the fan vote winner automatically got in. If not, why have it? That said, DMB sucks out loud (although they are very good live, but that's far more because of the "B" than DM.) so I'm also fine with them being kept out.

I think Joan Jett got in because she was sort of a Pioneer. I can't think of another female artist who actually played an electric guitar before she and the Runaways did. I don't think she influenced anyone, especially considering biggest hits are covered, but she proved a female could lead a band, play hard rock and appeal to a male audience. And shit, she's 61 and can still bring it.

Draft saved Draft deleted