1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Editor - Kalona, Iowa

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Zads07, Jan 4, 2020.

1. Zads07

Zads07 Member

JournalismJobs.com - Job Listing - Sports Editor

Description:
    We are looking for a sports editor who can do it all – cover sports, shoot photos, work with correspondents and lay out pages. Quality sports coverage is one of the main reasons readers turn to the The News. You will be covering four high schools with competitive teams that usually make it to state tournaments. We emphasize quality writing, photography and page design in our sports section that usually has four or more pages each week.

The News is a 2,100-circulation weekly newspaper based in Kalona, Iowa, just 20 minutes from Iowa City, home of the University of Iowa. We have a small staff that works hard but has fun.

If you have a passion for covering community sports, we want to talk with you. Please send a resume and five samples of your work to Publisher@TheNews-IA.com. We are looking for someone with at least a year of experience, but we will consider recent graduates with high potential.

2. jla74m

jla74m Member

I had a phone interview with this place. The bottom line is they're paying $25,000 with NO BENEFITS. Run! Run as fast as you can!

Liut, apeman33, Suggswriter and 2 others like this.
  3. Stlgooch

Stlgooch New Member

I take it after your interview that this position is still open.

RonClements likes this.
  4. jla74m

jla74m Member

I was told I was the first interview and they had more to go. It doesn't matter. I don't want it, anyway!

Liut likes this.
  5. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

Cannot blame you. All the best. Good luck.

6. studthug12

studthug12 Active Member

"We're offering $25,000, but unable to offer benefits. Are you still interested?"

@jla74m : giphy (2).gif

jla74m likes this.
  7. jla74m

jla74m Member

I have health issues that require expensive medication each month. When I talk to a publisher like this one who said offering benefits is "a waste of money," I take it as an insult. lol

8. Stlgooch

Stlgooch New Member

And talking to publishers like this is a waste of time. Enjoy putting out that sports section yourself or dump it on an employee who doesn't know or have time for the sports world.

9. BurnsWhenIPee

BurnsWhenIPee Well-Known Member

The sad part is, it probably is S.O.P. for this place, and they feel fine making that part of the offer because so many people are so desperate for a job that they accept the no-benefits part of it without complaint.

If no one would accept a job there without benefits, things would change quickly.

10. Stlgooch

Stlgooch New Member

This job has been posted again. Either reopened or never filled.

11. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

2,100 circulation? Even as a weekly, how is it still in business?

12. apeman33

apeman33 Well-Known Member

Iowa and Kansas are unique places in the number of papers with small circulations still going. Some of them are still dailies.

Draft saved Draft deleted