1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2019-20 college football coaching carousel

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by jlee, Nov 3, 2019.

1. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Saint Bud's Last Torching - by a converted wide receiver playing QB

All this for a school that's never won anything.

tapintoamerica likes this.
  2. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

ESPN has plenty of obsessions. I agree that the Bud one was over the top. I'm fucking over Tech football at this point. You can't spell FU without Fuente.

3. BitterYoungMatador2

Ball busting aside, you didn't see a glimmer of hope with how he turned around the back end of the season? It could have deteriorated into a complete shit show after the Duke loss but they did rally and win eight.

exmediahack and heyabbott like this.
  4. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

Correlation doesn't equal causation, but the season turning around did coincide with Jerry Kill joining the staff*. He's gone now.

*Also with settling on Hooker at QB, and he's staying. To be faaaaaaaair...

5. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Was about to say the Jerry Kill thing, thanks Circus. Tech does bring plenty back, including Hooker, but Fuente's end-game management reminds me of Mike London's. He loses games for his team. Fuente wasn't a cop tho.

6. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

And I'm glad you brought up that London was, in fact, a cop. People forget that!

BitterYoungMatador2 and Cosmo like this.
  7. BitterYoungMatador2

It's really a shame London was such ass - as a coach, not a Richmond police officer. We could have had nonstop narrative for every Tech-UVA game.

8. Flip Wilson

Flip Wilson Well-Known Member

9. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Just guessing here. So do tell if this is off.
    Coach Justin Flavor of the Month meets with Baylor. He's all in to go if they offer, but they don't offer. This is on Tuesday.
    Story of the mutual interest breaks.
    Fuente is hanging. So are the Hokies.
    Meets with AD, who gives him a Gene DiFilippo-to-Jeff Jagodzinski ultimatum i.e. "I can't wait for you to make up your mind. You can't pursue that gig and keep this one."
    Having heard nothing from Baylor, Fuente limps back to Hokieville, tail between his legs. He's lucky he's still employed, but I suspect some damage has been done.
    Another guess: The AD didn't really want Shane Beamer. At least not yet.
    Interesting that The Athletic got beat on this.

10. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

Is it possible that it was the other way around -- the Baylor boosters were like, this is the guy you wanna bring in? And then they shot for the moon and got the DC of the team that won the title three days ago

11. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

The timeline, from Andy Bitter's Athletic story:

12. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

It's funny how things work out sometimes. UAB just hired former Arkansas OC/QB coach Joe Cradock as TE coach. He replaces Casey Woods, TE coach/running game coordinator, who was hired away by Drinkwitz at Mizzou. I suspect that this isn't as bad a demotion as it looks, as Cradock grew up and played his high school ball near Birmingham. He's still getting his Arkansas buyout less whatever he's getting paid as a position coach, and he gets to come home.

So one coach to the SEC and one from the SEC.

Draft saved Draft deleted