1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

iHeartLayoffs

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TheSportsPredictor, Jan 15, 2020.

1. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Thought Iā€™d read that the Kings broadcasts were online-only.

2. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

Surprised not to see any Spokane, Wash., stations on there.

I know one of the Spokane "I Hate Radio" rock stations recently pulled their midday DJs to run canned bits of John Tesh talking between songs. Those people might be working at other stations, though.

Hard to believe there's a worse industry than newspapers, but radio is one, and has been for a long time now. Hope that all who are affected find something better.

Liut and maumann like this.
  3. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

4. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

Good points, Mile High. Am I to assume Avs and Nuggets announcers are lackeys working on Kroenke's all-sports station.

5. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

Last edited: Jan 16, 2020
    Liut likes this.
  6. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Yes, radio and TV. Though most can't see Nuggets and Avalanche games on TV because Dish and Comcast have blocked them out. Still on DirecTV after a brief blackout.

7. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Don't think the Rockies have been anywhere else, except for getting bumped for Broncos games in the fall. Loved to tune in from California driving home from a late shift and there'd been a lengthy rain delay.

8. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Correct, they've been on KOA since Day 1 in 1993. The Broncos have been on there since 1970.

Liut likes this.
  9. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

It makes very depressed I am old enough to remember when the Broncos were on the old KTLN 1280.

10. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I remember when there was a lot of controversy with the deregulation of the TV and radio business - family owners were looking to sell out, corporate chains were looking to gobble up, monopolize and cluster - if I Heart is having such troubles, and I know Cumulus isn't doing great either - is it a situation where they made their pile already and it isn't worth the effort to invest in the product anymore or what? Do they end up selling back to local ownership?

maumann likes this.
  11. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

A couple small broadcasters in New England are buying stations here and there at fire-sale prices, but few want to buy.

Clear Channel went bankrupt somewhere around 2009 or 2010, and then iHeart filed last year. I think Citadel has filed within the past decade too.

12. nickp

nickp Active Member

iHeartRadio has replaced beloved Rockies announcer Jerry Schemmel with a baseball loving robot

Draft saved Draft deleted