1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports subjects you are just plain tired of

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by poindexter, Jan 16, 2020.

1. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

But that's the history of television. Dan Rather became a caricature of himself, as did Walter Cronkite and David Brinkley. They weren't over the top but they ended up playing the part not just being who they were. Stephen A has been a caricature of a satire wrapped in a Cheetos bag for longer then he was a functioning journalist. Terry Bradshaw has been a cartoon for 15 years? 25 years? Maybe that's Charles Barkley, maybe it is a character he plays. How can Mike Wilbon be that angry at every perceptible slight, yet make 7 million a year for the past 10-12 years? Although Wilbon was an angry young man for 30 years, is he still angry or is he a caricature of who he was in 1989?

2. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Nowhere. Just in sports circles.

3. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Also:
    "Heisman Watch" starting, oh, about now.
    The NFL Combine being treated as The Only Thing That Matters when it comes to evaluating talent.
    NBA Summer League hype.

tapintoamerica likes this.
  4. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

When I was in the business, always made a point to do this and include it in the story. Always had reporters do this too.

5. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

Many already mentioned.

.greatest quarterback EVAR
    .baseball's steroids era

6. UNCGrad

UNCGrad Well-Known Member

Anything "Nation." Red Sox Nation, and everything that followed. Our local high school did it all football season: Podunk Nation.

Drives me crazy.

Liut, FileNotFound, garrow and 3 others like this.
  7. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Slow play on the PGA Tour. It's never going away, get over it.

8. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

LOL Mendoza definitely got street cred in the locker room now.

Strange tack for her to take publicly.

9. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

This one. I was listening to some ESPN radio host during the AFC wild card game talking about how the legacy of Josh Allen -- a quarterback in his second season -- would be hurt if he didn't lead the Bills to a game-winning drive against the Texans. This was while the game was still going on.
    Maybe he could just try to win a damn game and let's worry about his Hall of Fame candidacy tomorrow, eh, fella?

Liut likes this.
  10. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

Find better circles. Its absence is not felt except maybe by the humps who worked there. I’m not on twitter so I don’t know where most of them have scattered to, but Magary was the only one whose writing I consistently enjoyed. And while I know he’s been writing for Vice, I don’t go there seeking him out, mainly because there is nothing else there of interest to me.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2020
  11. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Hey coach, how many classes did your students miss this week?

12. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

Batman, it was birthed by talk radio, like many crappy things.
    People didn't talk about quarterbacks like this 30 years ago.
    I just hate the idea greatness is rankable.

Liut likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted