1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

iHeartLayoffs

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TheSportsPredictor, Jan 15, 2020.

1. Severian

Severian Well-Known Member

Making America Great Again(?)

2. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

Is Clay Travis the morning guy on Fox. If so I recommend podcasts.

2muchcoffeeman and sgreenwell like this.
  3. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Apparently they gutted the big historic station in Boston, WBZ.

4. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Here's a rolling list.
    One that stuck out was John Allers at WRFF in Philadelphia. He was also the national brand coordinator for their alternative format stations. I don't know him at all, but I love the station. I live in a different part of the country and stream it all the time. Wonder if this bodes ill for their alternative stations as a whole?

Ongoing List Of Those Affected By iHeartMedia Cuts - RadioInsight

5. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

That's a helluva list. Went down the rabbit hole with it and found out that one of my favorite local sports radio hosts died last year. Had no idea since I had long moved out of that market, but it really saddened me. Local radio matters just like local newspapers. But how you save either one, I have no idea.

maumann likes this.
  6. apeman33

apeman33 Well-Known Member

Wichita got it relatively easy. Only three got the axe and two were part-timers. But the full-timer had been promoted just last month.

Also, a new sickening corp-speak word has come out of this: "Dislocation."

7. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Local radio has been killed even more by the suits than print. Stations go more national and kill off any form of local personality. If I wanted to listen to Ryan Seacrest, which I don't, I'd get an XM subscription. There's no reason I should be able to hear him on three separate stations in this market and the adjoining ones.

Clear Channel/iHeart had a big purge in 2009, too, so this isn't their first rodeo.

Liut, HanSenSE and maumann like this.
  8. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

9. MileHigh

10. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

Shows how out of touch I am. The L.A. Kings shifted to iHeart radio. So I'm in the car, I know the Kings are playing and I have to ask my kid what number is it on the radio. The newspaper doesn't even list their radio channel anymore.
    New-world media -- SMH.

11. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Didn't realize some announcers were still radio employees and not team employees. Would have thought someone like that would have been safe.

HanSenSE and maumann like this.
  12. MileHigh

The Broncos radio voice is a station employee (same as Rockies) and he just signed a 10-year contract.

By contrast the CU football and basketball announcer used to work at the same station until he was laid off a few years back. The school hired him and their games are still on the same station.

Will be interesting if KOA will give up one of the properties — Broncos, Rockies and Buffaloes — in most cost-cutting moves.

Those three have been on KOA for decades.

Chef2, Liut and maumann like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted