1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports subjects you are just plain tired of

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by poindexter, Jan 16, 2020.

1. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Also:

* Dumb TV people thinking local NFL team is heading to the Super Bowl because they won a wild-card game.

* LeBron

* NBC Olympic features, which, I’m sure is just coincidence.

* MLB individual postseason records without the context of expanded playoffs.

SFIND, maumann and OscarMadison like this.
  2. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Or the preview shows making picks -- Patriots playing Jets, the entire panel picks Patriots. Riveting stuff.

BitterYoungMatador2 likes this.
  3. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

• Man on the street interviews after a team wins a championship. Like any of this blathering asshats are going to offer anything profound. It's always, "dahhhh its awesome, man. I'm so happy dahhhhhh we're number one!!!"
    • TV newsdicks then acting shocked and apologizing to the audience when one of this jibberish-spewing fools yells, "We're fucking world champs!" You sent one of your reporters into a sea of booze and joy. You knew this would happen. Every time.

HanSenSE likes this.
  4. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

GOATS
    This is a goat.
    goat.jpeg

This isn't a goat.
    russell.jpeg

Neither is this.
    lebron.jpeg

SFIND, expendable, Liut and 1 other person like this.
  5. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

Trying to remember the first time I heard that term. It's only in the last 10-15 years. It's not only played out, but it's at base inaccurate as an acronym because "of" should not be accounted for. We live in the USA. Not the USOA.

in conclusion, Lebron is the GAT. Boom.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2020
    Sea Bass likes this.
  6. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Along the lines of the GOAT thing ... Mount Rushmore of this or that team, sport or city.

daytonadan1983 likes this.
  7. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

When I was growing up, the goat was the player who fucked up the game.

I told this story before about when I was stringing for a newspaper while I went to college. They called me late one afternoon and asked if I could cover a high school basketball game that night. I did and went, not realizing until I got there that my best friend's little brother was on the team. He fucked up the game and it went OT. But he made a play that won the game in OT. Fortunately. The headline off my story said: (Player) won't be a goat, wins game for (school). I was at their house a few days later and the clip was on their bulletin board.

8. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

The big, bad NCAA. That story bores me. But I suppose it serves a purpose toward changing the NCAA.

9. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

It’s getting to the point where even the NCAA is bored and not giving a shit about the virtue of amateurism anymore.

10. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Preach. I will say that what helps the NBA’s popularity - it’s narrative-driven culture - is also a big weakness. A lot of the NBA coverage - Bleacher Report jumps to mind - is sophomoric. I listened to NBA Radio quite a bit last year and after a while this shit just starts repeating itself. That, and the whole notion of ripping/praising players for joining or not joining other All-Stars and their “legacy”. Who gives a fuck?

What I do find funny is that some of these rants are straight out of SJ 2007. Chad Johnson? Is Keyboard Cat going to play us out too?

I stopped watching the dopey embrace debate shows years and years ago. It’s awesome to be (mostly) blissfully unaware of their vapidity and the moronic narratives they put out.

11. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

The difference was simple. Tiger was more successful.

12. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I think "picks" are fine if they are used to provide analysis - Team X will win because..... But I do like the idea of graphics showing said picker's record, or the last place finisher ponying up $100k to a charity. For all of the attention "The Greek" got for his, "by a field goal" or whatever - I liked his board.

[​IMG]

misterbc, Baron Scicluna and MileHigh like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted