1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Atlantic on alcohol consumption

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Alma, Jan 14, 2020.

1. Craig Sagers Tailor

Craig Sagers Tailor Active Member

What are the easiest months to not drink? I gotta figure January or February. March is St. Patty's Day. Maybe April. When it warms up, it's bottoms up and then it's football season, then the holidays.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2020
  2. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

This is essentially it. Kind of a chance to reset your mindset and reevaluate your relationship with alcohol.

3. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

The October I did it, I was working a stretch of tournament weekends that would have cut down on my drinking anyway, so I just decided to cut out the Sundays as well.

4. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Lent has a kind of religious purpose or, at least, it's supposed to.

5. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

6. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

I’ve given it up for January. My wife wanted to try a 30 day Paleo diet program and I agreed to do it with her, in part for moral support and in part to be a little healthier.

I tended to have a glass or two of red wine with dinner many nights and am not above over consuming on weekends (the holidays were really bad). So far, 15 days in, I don’t really miss it. It helps that I’ve only been in one social situation where people were drinking.

Unfortunately, I haven’t seen any improvement in my sleep so far.

7. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

I've also been mostly off the sauce this month. My wife and I had a trip planned the first weekend of the year that included a brewery trip, so I had a couple then. Otherwise, I'm done until we go to the Bahamas, conveniently, 2/1. Hasn't changed much, but still feels good to follow through on something for once.

8. JC

JC Well-Known Member

So both are fictional reasons to abstain.

9. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

10. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

There are also clear health benefits of drinking a glass of red wine each day.

11. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

12. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

The one "maybe" benefit of red wine (resveratrol, an antioxidant) can also be obtained simply by eating grapes or drinking grape juice. In other words, it ain't the alcohol.

Draft saved Draft deleted