1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2020 NFL Off-season

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by heyabbott, Dec 30, 2019.

1. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Nothing beat Eddie DeBartolo and the 49ers; he understood that if you treated the players well they performed better (see who came aboard in the 80's for the championship runs)

2. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

First ballot HOFer

3. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

Two words: Booger McFarland

Tweener and HanSenSE like this.
  4. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

ESPN is paying damn close to $2 billion a season for the NFL. Why would they sweat a few million to hire away the best analyst in the game?

5. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

For $2billion they better do a 30 for 30 on Roger Goodell’s ability to steal money from ESPN in exchange for the worst selection of games outside Montana High School Thursday Night Game of Week. they don’t need Romo, though they ought to pick Booger a new job.

matt_garth likes this.
  6. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Nothing beat his trying to push through from the deceased to get a new stadium. Tried to act as if he were made of money, yet was on the sports welfare bandwagon same as everyone else. (Don't get me started on then-GM Carmen "Make My Own" Policy ... ).

7. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Dan Rooney at least matches DeBartolo. I'd say that based on longevity and stability, he was better, but I am biased.

Art Rooney, Sr. was still the public face of the franchise in the '70s, but it was when Dan Rooney took over the day-to-day that the franchise went from arguably the worst in the NFL from its arrival in 1933 through the start of the '70s. It was never 100 percent clear who hired Chuck Noll, but my money is on Dan Rooney making the decision and his father signing off on it. I say that because Noll didn't fit the mold of an Art Rooney hired. The founder of the franchise preferred big names or his own buddies over a guy like Noll, who was the youngest coach in the league when they hired him. He was also a relative unknown.

The Steelers simply outsmarted everybody most of that decade, especially when it came to scouting. Dan Rooney was also the one maintaining the stability of the franchise that has had only three coaches since Noll was hired in 1969.

8. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

Hugh Culverhouse ran one of the most profitable NFL franchises of the '80s.
    The team painted walls white at headquarters to avoid costs for projection screens.

9. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

Joe Brady leaving LSU for the Panthers. Matt Ruhle gets his OC. Great move.

10. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Kuechly retired!

11. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

Unbelievable. Wow. Got to be a lock for the Hall of Fame.

12. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

Maybe after Patrick Willis...

jk. Good for him. Leave with half a noodle.

Draft saved Draft deleted