1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Memphis Grizzlies beat writer

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Tommy Deas, Jan 8, 2020.

1. Tommy Deas

Tommy Deas Member

The Commercial Appeal in Memphis is searching for a beat reporter to cover the Grizzlies NBA beat.

The selected candidate will join an award-winning, statewide network which won 22 national Associated Press Sports Editors honors in the past year. The hire will primarily write Memphis Grizzles basketball stories that appeal to the local and state market, and also produce multimedia content. The job will also require coverage of the NBA offseason, reporting on breaking recruiting news and roster developments. Along with the rest of the staff, the person filling this role will also report on other community interest stories and events, including the World Golf Championship summer event.
    The USA TODAY Network-Tennessee operation is the largest journalistic entity in the state, with Memphis joining Nashville and Knoxville as one of its three main hubs.
    At least two years of experience in sports reporting or equivalent is preferred. Candidates should have competitive beat experience covering college or professional sports.

The position will require the successful candidate to:

* Create smart, thoughtful, engaging and sophisticated content in a variety of formats.
    * Provide leadership in developing audiences on Facebook, Twitter and other emerging social platforms, as well as podcasts.
    * Think outside of the box in this quickly-changing media world, offering new ways to approach the routine story.
    * Be comfortable appearing on camera and in front of a crowd.
    * Valid Driver’s License required for this position.

* Must be willing and able to pass a basic background check and drug screening.

Application Instructions:

Apply at: Job opportunity at Gannett | USA TODAY NETWORK - Sports Reporter - Memphis Grizzlies NBA

When applying, please include a single document with as much of the following as possible:

a brief cover letter explaining your interest and fit for the position, your updated resume, and portfolio/clips/links to a few samples of your work. It’s important that these items be assembled into a single document, preferably in PDF format. The application will only allow one document upload. Completing these steps will ensure that you receive the highest consideration.

We offer a competitive base salary and career growth opportunities. We also offer you a comprehensive benefits package which includes medical, dental, vision, life insurance, short-term disability, long-term disability, Paid Time Off, Company Paid Holidays, employee discount programs and domestic partner benefits. Our 401(k) is top-notch and the contributions you make up to the first 5% are eligible for a 100% company match.

NOTE: I am the hiring editor. Please do not reach out to me. Apply and your application will be considered.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2020
  2. Tweener

Tweener Well-Known Member

If I were looking, this one would have some serious intrigue. I’m not really a fan of Memphis, but there’s good food there and Ja Morant is already one of the most exciting players in the league. Plus, Tommy Deas is a good dude to work for, from what I’ve heard.

3. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Memphis' NBA team probably cheats at recruiting, too.

4. OscarMadison

OscarMadison Well-Known Member

@Tweener, go for it. You're right about the food. They have a lively, inclusive culture where everybody and their cousin's dog goes to the big museum truck shows in late Spring, the Beale St. Fest, University of Memphis community involvement, the music... Seriously, think about it. I'd apply if they were looking for someone to write about football, beisbol, futbol, or hockey and I thought I had a chance.

Tweener and RonClements like this.
  5. Rockbottom

Rockbottom Well-Known Member

How far is that from Tahoe, again?

6. tonygunk

tonygunk Member

Just 15 minutes!

7. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Is someone leaving, and in mid-season? I took a look at the site and think there was five writers: Beat guys for Grizzlies, Memphis football and basketball, preps and a columnist?

8. MiamiBoy

MiamiBoy Active Member

9. Tommy Deas

Tommy Deas Member

Just in case anyone doesn't read the link or doesn't understand, the job is still open. We are accepting applications. We are also, of course, going to continue covering the Grizzlies in the interim. The story was to let our readers know what's going on.

MiamiBoy likes this.
  10. Journo27

Journo27 New Member

When can we expect to hear back if we’re selected for an interview?

11. MiamiBoy

MiamiBoy Active Member

Question for you Mr. Deas. I applied, but through Indeed, and I didn't put my cover letter in with the application. Is it possible for me to email someone and send them the cover letter? Because I can't apply again, since I already submitted the first one.

12. SoloFlyer

SoloFlyer Well-Known Member

Obviously not Tommy, and maybe he can still help you out, but this is applicants should always try to apply via the employer's official HR site.

When you use a third party, even a nationally recognized one, there's no guarantee you'll be able to submit everything required by the job ad.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2020
Draft saved Draft deleted