1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Astros hit with 1-year suspensions for manager, GM, and heavy draft penalties UPDATE: Sox fire Cora

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Regan MacNeil, Jan 13, 2020.

1. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

This may be the best post ever.

2. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

I'm sure there will be some peripheral suspensions for others involved. Half a season off for Cora, including postseason, sounds about right.

3. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Half a season for the guy who developed the system and then brought it to his new ball club? Surely, you jest.

4. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

I'm wondering if the Sox will do to Cora what the Astros just did to their manager and GM regardless of MLB's investigation.

5. Starman

A full season wouldn't be out of the question, considering the scope of Cora's role.
    In any case it can't be a pinky slap -- 10
    games, etc etc. It's got to hurt and hurt bad.
    Managers are pretty much at the mercy of MLB on suspensions, discipline, etc etc. There is no MLB Managers' Association.

Active players, of course, will have to go through the discipline/appeal process. My guess is appeals will focus on the fact MLB has not had explicit rules making sign stealing specifically illegal (unlike gambling, and later, PEDs). So they'll claim, "we didn't really know it was illegal."

Last edited: Jan 13, 2020
  6. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

The new school of analytics always indicated a baseball skipper was middle management.
    These revelations don't make it appear like that at all.
    More like a point man in the heist.

7. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

Teed off on that like you knew what was coming ...

ChrisLong likes this.
  8. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

9. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

Roy Oswalt tweeted some similar bullshit whataboutism today about letting PED cheats in the Hall while punishing the Astros.

10. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Anyone seen the takes wanting the Dodgers to be given the 2016 title?

11. Starman

Pete Rose (and his slappies) is using the increasingly more popular defensive strategy, "if I continually incriminate and re-incriminate myself and admit to worse and worse crimes, I must be innocent." For 30+ years now, it's been a continual process of Rose dribbling out more and more damaging admissions, in an apparent effort to establish the principle that Pete Rose just did illegal shit every day entirely as a routine matter of course, therefore he must be innocent.

OH and let's not forget that for several years, Pete Rose was the housemate of Tommy Gioiosa, who was later sent to prison for, among other things, trafficking STEROIDS.

And among the functions of STEROIDS, let us not forget, is improving muscle recovery time, so aging athletes can stay in the lineup -- not necessarily to bulk up into a 300 pound freak.

12. Sea Bass

Sea Bass Well-Known Member

No. Why? They weren’t even in that one.

Draft saved Draft deleted