1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2019-20 NFL coaching carousel thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by HanSenSE, Dec 28, 2019.

1. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

But will he still be able to take off after the first round of the playoffs?

wicked likes this.
  2. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Damn - ESPN is trying to pillage CBS Sports between this and the SEC. What's next? They're going to buy the rights to One Shining Moment? (Not the tournament, just the song so CBS can't play it).

3. DanielSimpsonDay

DanielSimpsonDay Well-Known Member

Money aside (kind of underselling the financials, I know), why the heck would he do this? Trade a weekly marquis matchup and the playoffs for MNF?

4. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

I just don't see how Romo is worth that kind of money. How does ESPN get a positive ROI on that? By making him the next Chris Berman?

5. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I think his rate per hour would still be higher at CBS - ESPN would give him one of those Gruden-esque QB shows, put him on Dancing With The Stars, have him host parades, game shows, do radio and TV hits three times a week. And as good as he is calling games - I don't think he's the showman that Gruden is.

sgreenwell likes this.
  6. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

Gruden a showman. That's a new one. Romo has waaaay more crossover appeal -- GMA, Dancing with the Stars, whatever -- than Gruden does. Gruden knows football and is known for football. That's it. Romo is a handsome Dallas Cowboy QB who once dated Jessica Simpson.

7. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Romo has a unique enthusiasm with on point analysis. He’s good.

Liut likes this.
  8. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

If Romo -wants- to do more stuff, then signing with ESPN makes sense, because of the huge corporate footprint they have. But, if he's happy doing just a game a week, it makes way more sense to stay with CBS.

Liut likes this.
  9. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

His children are very young. Romo strikes me as the kind of man in which the kids would be a major factor in determining what/or what not he decides to do.

10. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

That's a lot of money for calling football games. He's really good at looking at the field and predicting what's going to happen, and he's articulate, but damn that's big money.

Wish him all the best. He got out of the game with his brain still working. So far anyhow.

11. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

The owner? The NFL should forbid that degree of involvement.

12. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

It's a brilliant move by ESPN.

This is not about calling 18 games a year or whatever the amount is.

This is about making a brand out of Tony Romo...he'll be the face of the network by year 2. Football. Golf. Hosting the ESPYs. Appearing all over ABC.

Gals want to bed him and guys want to be him. $14M a year would still be a steal by Disney Co.

sgreenwell likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted