1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2019 Pro Wrestling thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Baron Scicluna, Jan 1, 2019.

1. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

The US title match also had a screwy ending. Andrade went for his finish and the ref stopped him, then Mysterio went out of the ring acting all upset about Zelina.

2. mpcincal

mpcincal Well-Known Member

Pro wrestling legend Pampero Firpo passes away:

Pampero Firpo, Wrestling Legend, Passes Away At The Age Of 89

RIP, although the one reason his name sticks in my mind is that I listen to Jim Cornette's Drive-Thru podcast and a few months ago a listener contributed a new theme song with lyrics tailored to Cornette to the tune of "Windy," the song by the '60 band The Association. Now it plays before every Drive-Thru episode, beginning with the words "Who still remembers Pampero Firpo?" Give it a listen, the lyrics are awesome, especially if you know a lot about Cornette's career:

Baron Scicluna likes this.
  3. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

The inspiration for Randy “Macho Man Savage.

RIP

mpcincal and Batman like this.
  4. JimmyHoward33

JimmyHoward33 Well-Known Member

Two weeks out from the Rumble, who are your picks?

Women seems fairly straight forward, my pick is Shayna Baszler, Vince’s will be Lacey.

Men I have no idea. I think Vince wants Roman. I don’t think we’re ready for Fiend/Roman yet, but I have no idea who the hell’s ready for Lesnar. Maybe its break glass time on Strowman. Him or Kofi.

I dont hate the idea of Big E winning and going after Lesnar, but I dont see him actually winning so I fear thatd be bad for him long term

5. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

I agree with you on Shayna Baszler, she would be a perfect pick to win the Rumble and maybe go after Becky. But Lacey Evans winning and chasing Bayley seems to easy. Maybe a Nia Jax return so she can chase Bayley and mix it up with Sasha leading up to WrestleMania?

As for the men, they keep referencing the WWE not being worthy of Lesnar, even having Elias sing it on SmackDown, so maybe they’re telling the truth. So I’ll go with something Bully Ray mentioned on Busted Open radio that got me excited: CM Punk. The Heyman Bowl. Punk could win the Rumble and never wrestle again until the main event of WrestleMania, and I would be perfectly fine with that.

JimmyHoward33 likes this.
  6. Flip Wilson

Flip Wilson Well-Known Member

7. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

8. JRoyal

JRoyal Well-Known Member

I'm thinking something similar, but with Edge instead of Punk since rumors are he signed a talent contract and has been cleared.

9. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Assuming it's not a big return like Punk, could they set up another round of Rollins vs. Lesnar?
    Lesnar is entering at No. 1. Rollins comes out on Raw, claims he's the real face of WWE, yada, yada, and will prove it by entering the Royal Rumble at No. 2, winning it, and slaying The Beast yet again. As an insurance policy, he's bringing in the AOP at Nos. 3 and 4.
    Then they can do a beatdown, have Lesnar go to the back for a while without being eliminated, and come back at the end to eliminate AOP before getting eliminated by some Rollins shenanigans.
    Or they just have them dominate the Rumble and be the first two in and the last two out, with Lesnar eliminating a bunch of guys as quickly as they come into the ring.

10. JimmyHoward33

JimmyHoward33 Well-Known Member

You’d have to make Lesnar the face in that scenario. I think people are so sick of Seth that if the Fiend and Lynch Mania matches deliver, they’d be very game to see Brock rip him apart. Its a good idea and maybe even gets Lesnar back over to where he was before his last reign of terror

11. nietsroob17

nietsroob17 Well-Known Member

A fistfight without a fist thrown.

BRILLIANCE!

But this was cool as hell...

JRoyal and Batman like this.
  12. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Jericho on the LeBatard Show has been amazing. He’s been in the studio for the past hour, talking about his rivalry with Mario Lopez, Rodman falling asleep in the top rope during the 98 Bash match, and the “horrible” storyline with him, HHH and Stephanie leading into their WrestleMania match. The Rodman story came up while they interviewed Aaron Rodgers, who mentioned that match as the one that got him into wrestling.

Draft saved Draft deleted