1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The TV thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Versatile, Mar 28, 2013.

1. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I get that, but I've never really looked at that way. Sure, I notice how it demonstrated issues that are still a big part of politics today, especially the growing divide among the parties, but it is the writing and the characters that always bring me back. There are countless great lines and monologues and the cast was fantastic.

2. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Have finally gotten around to Fleabag, and it's as good as people said it was. I'm a sucker for Brett Gelman and the weird charisma he brings to most roles. Though I'm a moron and accidentally watched S2 E6 when I meant to watch S1 E6 so I've spoiled everything for myself. I denounce me.

3. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Had hopes for Deputy - not particularly high hopes, but Stephen Dorff is solid and the premise had potential. The big flaw was basing it in LA, and Dorff's character (supposedly intent on reforming the department), instead using his new power to throw out the rule book.
    Mostly I was hoping it would explore how many sheriff's departments are rife with corruption, cronyism and just plain bitchiness. I've seen deputy sheriffs who supported a losing candidate rolled back to street deputy, street deputies elevated to corrections chief for supporting the winning candidate - not to mention how local business types use sheriff's deputies to do their bidding. And lets not get into the corrections abuses.

4. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

BBC's Dracula (now on Netflix) was pretty good. From the makers of Sherlock. The first episode was great, the second very good and the third was okay. Would have been better if Drac didn't look a lot like Phil Dunphy. Best part: Dolly Wells' accent.

5. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

Finally finished the latest season of Mrs. Maisel. The Palladinos sure do like their entitled female leads who everyone is in love with. And way, way, way too much in the way of song and dance routines. But I still really liked it.

6. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Finally started Schitt's Creek last night. (I know, I know ...) Pretty funny, should be able to blast through it pretty quickly.

Wenders and sgreenwell like this.
  7. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Mario Lopez shares first look at Saved by the Bell reboot

Did we really need a Saved by the Bell revival? Is there anything they won't bring back rather than recycling an old idea? (I know. Funny stuff coming from an MCU fan).

They will actually be bringing back much of the original cast. Here is the premise:

The reboot will explore the fallout when Zack, now governor of California, gets into trouble for closing too many low-income high schools and proposes the affected students be sent to the highest-performing schools in the state — including Bayside High. Josie Totah will star in the lead role of Lexi, a popular and sharp-tongued cheerleader.

At least the Party of Five reboot has a topical starting point going for it, with the parents being deported. (Or maybe it's just the father. I'm just going by a promo I saw). On the plus side, most of this stuff is going on streaming services I will not pay for. The one exception so far that annoys me is Picard going on CBS All-Access. Fuckers.

8. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Zack as governor, pass. Zack as a some former millionaire who owned an "upscale" restaurant chain but is left only with the Maxx after Kelly divorces him - THAT i'd watch. He turns it into a quasi-cabaret featuring Jessie (also divorced - four times) who sings for fun because she's made all her money being a self-help guru somewhere between Marianne Williamson and Sheryl Sandburg. Slater shows up, with 10 kids, still with the only wife he's ever had. He's a daytime talk show host. Kelly makes appearance - mainly to drop off her two kids with Zack, she mentions to Jessie she never realized how miserable she was being married until she read her book.

9. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

Screech gets deep into QAnon and they bring in Mr. Belding to deprogram him.

justgladtobehere likes this.
  10. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

My fiancée watches it and I can’t even be in the same room when it’s on. Every scene is just people bitching at each other.

11. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

I used to make fun of the Gilmore Girls when Mrs. W watched it and I was reading or doing work. But I kept on laughing or saying that something was witty and I was hooked. They write their shows in a certain lane (not unlike Sorkin) and if you are looking for plot consistency or a non-entitled lead, it’s the wrong show. But I think it’s a top 10 show each of the 3 seasons.

Wenders and sgreenwell like this.
  12. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

Haven't seen Maisel yet, but Gilmore Girls definitely has that quality to it. It's a bizarre comp, but it kind of reminds me of a drama-like 30 Rock, in that they're just chewing through plot and dialogue at a rapid fire pace. It's seldom an A+, but it's almost never an F.

Draft saved Draft deleted