1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Detroit Tigers beat writer

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by gravehunter, Dec 20, 2019.

1. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

I haven't applied - but I know Chris and he's a good guy. I'd be happy to work for him

BurnsWhenIPee likes this.
  2. studthug12

studthug12 Active Member

Guessing the position is frozen. Gannett has always taken forever to hire positions no matter the beat.

Tweener and Writer like this.
  3. Tweener

Tweener Well-Known Member

I wouldn’t say 50 grand is “really low” compared to mid 50s, but OK.

Count yourself fortunate to have made more than that at Gannett. I never made more while covering college and pro sports for one of the company’s larger publications and have to believe that it has become even more difficult since the merger.

studthug12 likes this.
  4. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Detroit as "America's greatest sports town?" LOL.

5. Human_Paraquat

Human_Paraquat Well-Known Member

I suppose by "really low" I was comparing mid-50s to your $45K suggestion.

On the other hand, I know of another Gannett shop where I was quoted a mid-50s salary range for a pro beat in the NYC metro market. That was an insanely low offer IMO. Yet I was quoted essentially the same salary range or higher for similar jobs in the Memphis and Mississippi markets. (All of these numbers have come within the past 365 days.)

Those latter examples are why I believe this Tigers should at least be in a similar range.

Tweener likes this.
  6. BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo

BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo Well-Known Member

CHARMION WRITER (can't believe I'm the first to say that)

And last I knew, Gannett was paying sub-$50K--and not by a few bucks--to cover the Mets, so I'd be stunned if the hire here got anywhere close to $50K, assuming the gig ever gets filled.

7. Human_Paraquat

Human_Paraquat Well-Known Member

That's the one where I received a quote in the mid-50s last year (which IMO is still too low for a predominantly seven-day-a-week job in the NYC market).

It was a real eye-opener last year going through the job-offer process for the first time in over a decade and hearing a frankly inexplicable range of salaries. In my experience Gannett was worse on cutting number of staff and occasionally limiting other expenditures, but not that bad on salary and benefits. YMMV.

The online Gannett application includes a box for expected salary and you have to put a number, not a range or "negotiable." So don't lowball yourself thinking it helps your chances of getting the job. Twice last year I was quoted ranges well below what I put on the application, so it's possible the hiring managers never even see those.

8. BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo

BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo Well-Known Member

If they were offering higher than 50K, then I apologize. I'd heard pretty reliably it was lower than that, and came with the usual 24/7 expectations and minimal days off of this glorious media world. Even $50K, in that market, is too low, but at least it's not the 40s.

9. Joel Marlou

Joel Marlou New Member

The part about sub-50k to cover the Mets is 100 percent accurate right now at the Bergen Record.

10. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

About a month to go until pitchers and catchers, you'd think they'd want a newbie there from the get-go.

11. wheels89

wheels89 Active Member

Any word what is happening to Fenech?

12. studthug12

studthug12 Active Member

Gannett doesn't care...probably will say they have to wait until we see finances from Q1 now

HanSenSE and Tweener like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted