1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2020 Pro Football Hall of Fame Class

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Della9250, Aug 2, 2019.

1. cyclingwriter2

cyclingwriter2 Well-Known Member

i can buy that argument, but a lot of people haven’t. Again, I think Holmgren is a worthy choice.

2. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I was 14 that season. They were pretty bad. That was the season the clock finally ran out on Stallworth and we started to see the injuries that would limit Louis Lipps much of his career. Shell had slowed down quite a bit by then, but he could still play. If he ever made the Hall of Fame, that would be five guys from the 1974 Steelers' rookie class. Not only did the Steelers have the best draft in NFL history with Swann, Lambert, Stallworth and Webster. They also got Shell as an undrafted rookie free agent.

cyclingwriter2 likes this.
  3. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

No announcement with Johnson on the pregame show, so I guess either half-time or postgame or it seems really weird they did Cowher early

4. Jake from State Farm

Jake from State Farm Well-Known Member

Johnson gets in at halftime

5. Della9250

And now Cowher yesterday makes sense.

6. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Makes the whole thing look kind of sketchy. Maybe every one of the finalists gets in.

PS - Anyone have a guess which network has reached out to Brees to retire and head to the booth? Schefter says it isn't ESPN. I'm guessing Collinsworth or Aikman have a contract coming up.

7. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Johnson gets in the HOF before the Cowboys’ Ring of Honor?

8. Della9250

There's only one way to get into the Cowboys Ring of Honor. And one man makes that deicision

Inky_Wretch likes this.
  9. Della9250

Those are the only two coaches getting in. They aren't having 30 speeches. My guess is when they did the voting and saw who the two were, someone threw it out there to do that because of the platform they were on. If it had been Parker and Coryell or Vermeil and Flores, every pick would have been under wraps until Wednesday

10. DanOregon

I guess that's what I don't like about the Centennial Class - despite the nominees all being worthy - the separate committee, different rules - you could argue they are making a bigger show of this announcement than the regular HoFers who end up sharing the spotlight with the NFL MVP and then the story is buried by the Super Bowl.

11. Della9250

I think it's a bigger show because of the circumstances -- the 100 years, the 15 inducutees. If this was any other year, the Senior and Contributor picks would be done as they are.

I don't have a problem with how they are doing it. You only get a 100-year anniversary only once. I can't imagine they do this at 150 or 200, but you never know

12. DanOregon

Sure - as long as we all agree that these are candidates who haven't gotten in through the normal process for whatever reasons.

Draft saved Draft deleted