1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2020 NFL Off-season

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by heyabbott, Dec 30, 2019.

1. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

How many since 2001? Just Foles. I understand the general point that you can find value in acquiring castoffs, but a lot of guys like McNown are career backups for a reason. And Young sat for years until Montana left. Why? Because SF kept him knowing what they had and other teams couldn’t pry him away.

2. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Culpepper got his knee destroyed in Charlotte by the Carolina Panthers' Mike Minter during an open-field run. Minter was/is about 5-foot-10, 190 at most. Daunte was just a little bigger ... Minter had little choice if he didn't want to get trucked.

Brees was diving for a loose ball and trashed his shoulder.

Both were considered risky signings. Dolphins chose Culpepper, in part because Brees' shoulder issue was considered career-threatening.

Dolphins chose poorly, and Nick Saban eventually went to Tuscaloosa.

Brees got his shoulder repaired by Dr. James Andrews, signed with the Saints and will join Archie Manning on the team's Mount Rushmore.

3. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

It speaks volumes that I'm having a hard time arguing with Manning being on the Mount Rushmore for the Saints. I started thinking of guys like Rickey Jackson. I'm not sure who you put there. Tom Dempsey?!

4. Sam Mills 51

Morten Andersen makes it long before Tom Dempsey.

As for others ... ah ... I can't say it ...

5. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Oh, you mean the Roethlisberger Theory, aka, the Newton Principle.

6. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

Sean Payton?

7. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Trent Dilfer was traded twice — to the Browns and by the Browns.

8. Sam Mills 51

Um, no.

If you need a clue, you're missing the bloody obvious.

9. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I was kidding with Dempsey.

If I was going to do it seriously, I'd go with Brees, Morten Andersen and Rickey Jackson for sure. I might have to go with Willie Roaf.

As highly as I thought of the guy you are hinting at, he wasn't a Hall of Famer like Roaf. (I'm going to avoid mentioning his name to see how long it takes Boogie to figure it out.)

10. Sam Mills 51

Drew Brees, Archie Manning, Rickey Jackson, Morten Andersen.

For those who roll their eyes at kickers, Willie Roaf is an excellent choice.

11. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

12. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

I think Rickey Jackson and you can make a case for Jim Mora. That team was nothing until he got there.

Draft saved Draft deleted