1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2020 Pro Football Hall of Fame Class

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Della9250, Aug 2, 2019.

1. Jesus_Muscatel

Jesus_Muscatel Well-Known Member

2. cyclingwriter2

cyclingwriter2 Well-Known Member

it was me, and they were not consistent contenders. In 10 seasons, he had three seasons with 10 or more wins. Only made it past the divisional round one time. In comparison, he took Green Bay to three straight nfc championship games, winning twice and ultimately a Super Bowl.

3. Jesus_Muscatel

Jesus_Muscatel Well-Known Member

Yes, on Roger Craig, Randy Gradishar, and maybe Donnie Shell.

They keep Shell out because Mean Joe, Jack Ham, Lambert, Mel Blount and maybe one other Steelers defender from that era are already are in.

Harold Carmichael, maybe. Jim Covert, borderline, but I don't think so.

NO FUCKING WAY ON Cliff Harris. Drew Pearson MAYBE you can make a case for, but Cliff Fucking Harris and Charlie Fucking Waters have been fussin' about this since they quit playing. Neither one of them were anywhere close to players like Mel Blount or Ronnie Lott or Mike Haynes.

Yes I hate Dallas, but you can make a case for Ed "Too Tall" Jones before that pansy ass safety duo of Harris and Waters. They can both STFU. Twice.

4. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

That was a dig at me. JC and many others made idiots of themselves after that game and I happily told them so.

To be honest, I don't remember if JC was among the idiots claiming that the NFL fixed that one for the Steelers, which is one of the dumber conspiracy theories I've read in way too many years on this site.

5. outofplace

It was a coaching performance that enhances his case for the Hall of Fame, or at least it should.

6. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Never ever thought it was fixed, that’s idiotic.

7. outofplace

I've changed my mind on Shell over time. For years, I thought he didn't belong, but I've heard some really good arguments in his favor. The guy was a hell of a hitter and run defender, but he also had 51 career interceptions. Many of those came in the '80s, after the Steel Curtain had been broken up. I've come to realize Shell doesn't get credit for how good he was and loses out because people think the Steelers of the '70s already have too many players in the Hall of Fame.

By the way, from that defense, you listed them all. It was Greene, Lambert, Ham and Blount. The offense had Bradshaw, Harris, Swann, Stallworth and Webster. Honestly, Shell might be more deserving than Swann.

cyclingwriter2 likes this.
  8. outofplace

I honestly don't remember which posters were pushing that idiocy, but it was definitely a thing on this site for years.

9. JC

JC Well-Known Member

There’s a big difference between poor officiating and the league fixing games. There are a bunch of morons here who scream fixed every time there’s poor officiating.

10. outofplace

The officiating was bad in that game. If I remember correctly, the call that really had Seattle fans screaming was an offensive pass interference that wiped out a touchdown. It was a killer because that drive eventually ended with an interception. There was one small problem for the Seahawks. The offensive player did push off before the ball arrived.

11. cyclingwriter2

cyclingwriter2 Well-Known Member

ive always been biased because shell was probably the best player on the Steelers when I started following them. I remember him setting the record for career interceptions for strong safety in 1986 and thinking that was the biggest thing ever. Of course, I was all of nine and the Steelers were 6-10 that year.

12. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

Harris and Pearson are the only players on the first-team all-decade team for the 1970s who have not been inducted.

Of the 45 players on the first and second teams, only seven have not been inducted -- Harris and Pearson and then Carmichael, Greenwood, Harvey Martin, Louis Wright and Dick Anderson

Covert is on the list because he is the only player on the 1980s all-decade first-team that has not been inducted.

Draft saved Draft deleted