1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Neil Peart

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Junkie, Jan 10, 2020.

1. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

It's a good damn thing they're in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.

OscarMadison likes this.
  2. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

I learned to play a right-handed kit left-handed. Never had a chance.

3. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

No fucking shit.

OscarMadison likes this.
  4. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

I just realized he never showed off.

Just playing those songs was showing off enough.

OscarMadison likes this.
  5. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Stop. You're validating Jann Wenner with this. Don't do that.

6. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Thing is, in spite of this ugly aftermath, had a pretty smooth day at work. Go figure. Listened to nothing but Rush all day while putting stuff together. Nothing really went awry, which is really unusual. A co-worker was really cooperative, and that was a big help.

Came home with two basketball games and a hockey game on the DVR, intending to watch them all before nodding off. The hockey team is playing as consistently well as it has in at least a decade.

Couldn't watch them. Watched the documentary "Time Stand Still" still on the DVR. Rush fans were hoping this wasn't the end. It's about four years old, and Neil was really cooperative for the production and looked fine.

Needed that. This shouldn't bother me so much, but it does.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2020
    expendable and OscarMadison like this.
  7. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I wish I learned to play the piano better, learned to read and write music. Being a writer is good, but people still have to make a conscious decision to read your work and know the language you are writing in. Music endures. We're still singing Christmas songs from 13th C. You hear music even if you don't want to hear it or understand the language. Plus - you write a good song and it will outlive you and probably provide for you and your loved ones long after you're gone and keep putting smiles on people's faces. That's pretty cool. Peart's artistic and technical prowess will endure and continue to inspire.

misterbc and OscarMadison like this.
  8. OscarMadison

OscarMadison Well-Known Member

@DanOregon I am musically literate but have zero talent. That's just not where my gifts are. However, I love it and cannot do without it. If I had to choose between books and music, it would be very hard.

One of the delights of being an aunt (of sorts) to my friends' kids and grandkids is witnessing their incredulous responses to Neil Peart, Keith Moon, Ringo Starr, Buddy Rich, Clem Burke, and so on. Especially where Peart and Moon are concerned, the young'uns sometimes can't believe that's one person on a kit. They say there has to be some studio magic going on, even with the live performances. (Who knew being a tribal elder could be so much fun?)

Neutral Corner and FileNotFound like this.
  9. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

I'd add Ringo's son, Zak Starkey, to this list.

OscarMadison likes this.
  10. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Saw an interview with Geddy Lee where he said they added the bells in "Closer to the Heart" so Lifeson would have time to switch from acoustic to electric onstage.

11. OscarMadison

OscarMadison Well-Known Member

Oh, goodness, yes!

I have a bizarre affection for Geddy Lee. I think it was hearing him interviewed on NPR back in the late 70s(?) that got me interested in Rush in the first place.

12. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

This is one of my fondest memories with my dad. We would go to Vegas occasionally. He loved it. Our plan was go gamble and meet in the lounge bar at 5 for a good cocktail before dinner. A solo lounge singer with a guitar and some percussion stuff is playing. He turns on some gizmo that provides a beat and starts singing. My dad leans over to me and asks, "Where is the fucking drummer?"

Draft saved Draft deleted