1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2019-20 NFL coaching carousel thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by HanSenSE, Dec 28, 2019.

1. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Here's what I really don't understand. What's the damn rush for these teams? Greg Roman is getting credit for creating the league's most dynamic offense and he didn't even get an interview because all the teams needed their coach NOW! What the hell for? To oversee scouting at the Senior Bowl? Are these organizations so bereft of able employees they can't function for three weeks without a new head coach? Joe Judge may or may not succeed with the Giants, but what has he done this week besides give a pep talk to the media?

2. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

The Giants have returned to the Dark Ages of the 15 years prior to the arrival of George Young. Check the W-L record over the past 40 games, it's near the bottom of the league. Even those Jints had some talent, mostly on defense -- remember when a frustrated future HOFer Harry Carson quit in the middle of training camp? The org has completely lost its way.

Liut likes this.
  3. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

You raise a strong point. I imagine the competition to "get the guy" may be one, don't want to give the impression you got the third or fifth or sixth best choice. Also wonder if the handshake deal the Colts had with McDaniels that blew up may be part of it - and also you don't want to end up with limited choices in filling out a staff.
    That said, the Colts made out pretty well with Reich (even when retaining some McDaniels hires) - I also wonder if leverage has a bit to do with it. The longer you wait for a guy who is still coaching, the higher his price goes up.

Liut likes this.
  4. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Does Bill Cowher get the same credit for Mike Tomlin’s SB that Dungy gets for Gruden’s ?

5. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

He does among many Steelers fans. It was an interesting day for you to ask that question. If you didn't see it yet, Cowher found out live on the pregame show that he is being inducted into the Hall of Fame.

6. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

I saw it. That’s what reminded me. Gruden did what Dungy couldn't. Tomlin repeated what Cowher did. But it’s not easy to win. Tomlin gets full credit as does Gruden.

7. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

That was one of the coolest “staged” things I’ve seen in a while. They usually fall flat, but not that.

8. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Another question - and probably destroying my argument about Dungy deserving a ring for TBs win - but do the Bucs win if Gruden isn't on one sideline and the Raiders are on the other? Do the Raiders win if there is anyone else on the other sideline?

9. DanielSimpsonDay

DanielSimpsonDay Well-Known Member

Terrific question. IIRC, the Raiders players said the Bucs D was calling out their plays to the letter because Callahan hadn't changed anything. Like real-time Spygate or looking at your opponent's screen in Madden.

10. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

11. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Poor devil.

12. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

"Sluggo seam" is a phrase that will live in infamy among Raiders fans. There was a clip in the Super Bowl highlight video from NFL Films where he's calling it out and then bragging about it.
    Talk about a franchise that had a clear and obvious turning point. That 2002 Raiders team was really damn good. They were knocking on the door for a while, finally got to the Super Bowl, and ran into the worst possible matchup. They've had one winning season since that Super Bowl loss. That window slammed shut like a guillotine and had the same kind of effect on the organization.

Liut likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted