1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running 2019-2020 college hoops thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by CD Boogie, Nov 5, 2019.

1. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Just to show how fluid all of this is, two of San Diego State's five Q1 wins are now Q2 wins, and they've dropped two spots to No. 3 in the overall NET.

2. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Aztecs will be in good shape. They’ll keep falling as their SOS changes, but they’ll be one of those teams the committee can’t ignore in any discussion of seeding.

3. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Trump U. Lynchburg is up to 27, which surprises me. They sunk down to like 45 after the LSU loss and rose after winning three straight against bad ASun teams. If they run the table in the regular season and lose in the tournament, they may actually get in as an at-large. That team is a bitch to play against. UVa lite defensively with better shooters.

4. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

From the Is This Mathematically Possible? Dept.:

Tennessee had three players shoot a combined 1-for-29 against South Carolina today . . . and still won.

5. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

OK, it's officially time to admit that this North Carolina team is utter garbage, break out the popcorn, and enjoy the implosion.
    Clemson improves to 1-59 all-time at Chapel Hill by winning 79-76 in overtime.

On a related note, North Carolina has now entered "bet against them out of pure spite" territory for me.

expendable and cyclingwriter2 like this.
  6. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

60th time's the charm.

Batman likes this.
  7. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Already there. Have yet to hear the thud.

When NCSU thumps them, then maybe the "thud" occurs.

8. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Fool me once, when I took them -4.5 against Pitt, shame on them.
    Fool me twice, when I took them again today -4.5 against Clemson, shame on me.
    If Clemson can win in Chapel Hill and the Patriots can lose at home in the playoffs, I don't know what is going on in this world anymore.

9. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

Considering all the Cinderella talk: Is Gonzaga, which has been pretty salty for two decades now as a non-power conference member*, still considered a Cinderella?

* (I hate the term Power 5 used in college basketball because the Big East makes six, and more years than not the AAC makes seven.)

10. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Gonzaga's 2020 recruiting class currently ranks 6th in the nation. The 2019 class ranked 8th.

No Cinderella.

11. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

They've also been to a Final Four and national championship game, and spent a fair amount of time ranked No. 1 over the years.
    Considering the conference they play in, they qualify. And they were once upon a time -- one of the first of the 21st century. They haven't been a true Cinderella in long, long time, though.

12. Shelbyville Manhattan

Shelbyville Manhattan Well-Known Member

There’s a history of Western teams that were power programs but were not in power conferences. San Francisco. UNLV. Now Gonzaga. All the Zags are missing is the national championship, but the chances are excellent that it is a matter of when, not if.

Draft saved Draft deleted