1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2019-20 college football coaching carousel

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by jlee, Nov 3, 2019.

1. HappyCurmudgeon

HappyCurmudgeon Well-Known Member

So don't tell me he can't be competitive at Mississippi State where he'll get 10 times the talent. He's been competitive everywhere he's gone. Fuck yeah you leave Wazzu for Mississippi State 10 times out of 10.

Donny in his element likes this.
  2. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

I never said anything of the kind.

You said "Wazzu wasn't competitive. " I merely pointed out they were.

I have friends up this way who spent time in Starkville, including my across-the-street neighbor. They are quite pleased to be gone. To each his/her own.

The Pullman/Moscow region might be remote, but it is also one of the most-educated micropolitan areas in the US, on a per-capita basis, with 30,000+ college students. It's not a bunch of hayseed farmers.

exmediahack likes this.
  3. HappyCurmudgeon

So the fuck what?

Clearly the astrophysics program at Wazzu didn't appeal to Leach anymore, he just wants to coach football and get better players.

4. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

The antonymns for "swashbuckling" include "unadventurous," "lacking in boldness."

Arkansas had its chance to reel in the swashbuckler. Instead they'll be playing Arkansas State in 4 years just to keep the local fans juiced.

5. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Just pointing out that while the area is remote, it is also very well-educated, and not just a bunch of hayseed hicks like some uninformed people might think.

Lighten up, Francis. Nobody is attacking Mississippi.

PS: He had three QBs at Wazzu play in the NFL. Might take him a while to match that at MSU, even with all that wonderful, outstanding talent so close to Starkville that has made the Bulldogs a fixture on the national stage for the last three or four decades.

tapintoamerica likes this.
  6. HappyCurmudgeon

Congratulations. I never once mentioned Pullman in any terms other than football terms. I'm very happy it's a meeting place for the brightest of minds.

He had three QBs play in the NFL at Texas Tech as well because he's a very fucking good coach. There are other positions on the football field and Mississippi State gets a lot of those in the NFL too.

7. Donny in his element

Donny in his element Well-Known Member

I was one who referenced Pullman (and eastern
    Washington, really) being rural and agricultural, and its fan base likely more conservative and white because of it. It was not meant to demean, just offer that it’s not a foreign setting for Leach.

I am certain quality of like is far superior in Pullman-Moscow than Lubbock and Starkville, for what it is worth.

8. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Any school that can claim Edward R. Murrow and Keith Jackson as alums has nothing to apologize for. BTW - Edward R. Murrow was born Egbert but changed his name in college. The R is for Roscoe.

9. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

It’ll be harder to win at Mississippi State. Perhaps much harder.

10. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Like any SEC school, it depends on how much they wanna cheat.

Liut and tapintoamerica like this.
  11. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

I had cousins who lived in Pullman, Moscow and other such areas of Washington. They were all hayseed farmers. Oops, one had the lone taxi in Moscow.

Liut likes this.
  12. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

October is brutal - back to back roadies v. Bama and LSU in between home games with TexAM and Auburn (no byes in the stretch) - other than that quite manageable with a team coming of a bowl bid. It isn't like the program needs a total rebuild.

Liut likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted