1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is the United States the best?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Tweener, Jan 10, 2020.

1. Tweener

Tweener Well-Known Member

Saw a interesting Twitter debate about this last week and figured it would provide worthwhile discourse here.

Is the United States the best/greatest country in the world?

2. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

Greatest at what?

3. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

4. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

Unless you've lived and worked in other countries for any meaningful amount of time, I don't think you can reasonably assess this. You'd need to work and subsist in a country for at least three months before you truly got a sense for it -- the things you like, dislike, and perhaps miss by way of comparison with places you've lived previously.

It's all subjective. If I moved to say, Italy, I'd love the food and the ancient elements, but I'd miss watching the NFL at 1 p.m. on Sundays and I'd miss being around people who place a premium on personal hygiene. Plus I've heard it's more corrupt than New Orleans, which is saying something.

5. DanielSimpsonDay

DanielSimpsonDay Well-Known Member

6. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

It's all swings and roundabouts. You'd eat better in Italy or France on average, but the US is catching up there. Not only does France have cheaper health care, doctors make HOUSE CALLS! But then you don't get to work two days a week because of transit strikes, and paperwork is France's real national religion. Life is very clean and civilized in Scandinavia, but the weather sucks. Much much less unlikely to die of random firearm violence in Britain or Ireland, but it's wet and somewhat claustrophobic. New Zealand is beautiful, but you're at the actual end of the earth. There are tropical paradises here and there, all likely to vanish under the ocean with global warming. There are many many things the US could do to be a better place to live, but that's true everywhere, and more true in most other countries.

7. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

At producing and exporting culture, you'd better believe it is. And it's not close.

8. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

10 million Korean boy bands rise to object!

9. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

Did type leave?

10. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

Now run along, Eddie, and say "LOOK WHAT I POSTED AT MFS!" I award you 10,000 Internet Cool Points.

Slacker and JC like this.
  11. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

12. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

The best?
    America?
    Fuck yeah.

expendable and Liut like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted