1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2019-20 NFL coaching carousel thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by HanSenSE, Dec 28, 2019.

1. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

I remember when future HOFer Emmitt Thomas was the Bieniemy of black coaching candidates.
    Great former player and eminently qualified coach who couldn't get a whiff of a top job.
    The one stint he had was when Bobby Petrino suddenly quit late in the 2007 season.

2. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Thats an unfair characterization. I’m against the patronization and beatification of some people for just doing the normal, right and or civil thing. Just as I don’t think there’s any supremacy based on skin pigment I don’t believe in different standards.
    If a George Seifert was black he’d be in the HOF, here’s zero question about that. If Jim Plunkett was black he’d be in the Hall.
    Different standards is racist, whether you use the standards to promote or denigrate.

3. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Bang on.

4. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

No, it was a very good characterization. Every post is a variation of you being an ignorant, racist asshole. You bitch about stuff you know (and care) nothing about solely so you can shit on black people.

JC likes this.
  5. Tweener

Tweener Well-Known Member

Dungy never coached Tom Brady.

Liut and wicked like this.
  6. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

ISTR Sherm Lewis was in that role for a while, too, but everyone credited Holmgren with Favre’s development and he never got a shot.

Liut and 3_Octave_Fart like this.
  7. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

Yes, for sure, he was another. Good call.

Liut likes this.
  8. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

If Dungy coached the Patriots and Belichick coaches the Colts, would Brady have more than 1 ring?

9. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

I’ve said for years that Edelman’s resting face looks like he was just concussed.

10. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Small world/threadjack from the George Perles thread: Sherm Lewis was the assistant HC and probably the leading "alternative" candidate at Michigan State when Muddy Waters got whacked following the 1982 season, but the fix was in because internal factions on the board of trustees had set up Perles to be wheel-greased into the job after sabotaging Waters' program. Lewis was highly regarded and had been on the staff since the days of Duffy Daugherty, but Perles wanted him gone, so he moved on to bigger and better things in the NFL.

11. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

The point was more that he was repeatedly overlooked for jobs, but when he got his shot - he won. Bill Walsh got so fed up with being passed over by the NFL as a Cincy assistant, he took the Stanford job and was coaching the 49ers a few years later. And there are those "can't miss" guys with the looks, the pedigree, the charisma - and they routinely fail. Sean Payton is about the only one I can think of who has won a ring.

12. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Well ... most coaches fail. What's the average coaching tenure in the NFL, four years?

Draft saved Draft deleted