1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2019-20 NFL coaching carousel thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by HanSenSE, Dec 28, 2019.

1. DanielSimpsonDay

DanielSimpsonDay Well-Known Member

He was tied with Jameis Testaverde with four IG penalties this season and got quite the benefit of the doubt on an equal number of IG no-calls.

2. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

I don't care how many zucchini shakes from his $200 cookbook he slams a day, he is a carbon-based being and is subject to decay like all others.
    The mythology that this guy can play forever is incredible, and I'm not sure who it serves. Why again must he play until he's 45?
    It's funny that a person who lectures others about the dangers of feeding Lucky Charms to kids plays football for 30 years.

3. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Still better than an INT. Turnover differential was the Pats' most powerful weapon this year, another indication of how they have fallen as a group, not just Brady.

4. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

While Brady has frequently had turnovers early in big games, that throw it up for grabs pass when he was being pressured in the first drive against the Titans was something I’ve never see him do. And while it was wet out, that long pass to Watson which got called back was a terrible duck.

I still think that Brady is well above average in managing the clock and driving a team down to end a half or game, but he really fell off this year in terms of his general skills.

5. Michael_ Gee

Outing alert: 3 Octave is Gisele Bundchen. She's been asking that question since the Falcons Super Bowl.

6. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

Looks like we're at the point where Brady is holding the program hostage, like Jeter and Cal Ripken did.

7. JC

JC Well-Known Member

No they don’t. And he’s a free agent to boot. So if he’s better as you say he is you are going to have to grossly overpay for Tannehill.

8. Michael_ Gee

I have to assume that Belichick has had a "life after Brady" plan for at least the last two seasons (it used to be Garoppolo). He can enact it as he wishes. They don't have to offer Brady a dime.

wicked likes this.
  9. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

Free agency is still months away - the playoffs are still going on. Like, if he's dragging his feet at *that* point, fine. But I imagine this whole matter gets settled within the first week of free agency. I'm sure his agent has already gotten a feel for what sort of interest he's getting from the Patriots, and from the rest of the league.

10. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

They could franchise Tannehill and they wouldn’t have to grossly overpay long term. Make him prove this half season of success wasn’t a fluke.

11. Michael_ Gee

Franchising players has a way of breeding ill will. Suppose Tannehill keeps it up on his one-year 2020 deal. Then what do you do? Franchise him again? At that point, you might as well give him the long term deal that will now be way more expensive than it was last year, and that's if he wants to deal with you anymore.

12. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

So does locking in your team to a long-term deal with a QB who doesn't live up to his contract. It's a risk, for sure, to franchise a QB, as evidenced by what happened with the Redskins and Cousins, who was the first QB to be franchised two years in a row. But I think it's in the best short-term interests of a team like Tennessee to do that. Tannehill was garbage for years in Miami. The prevailing sentiment is that he didn't have the talent around him. Maybe. But I'd still be gun shy about committing to him long term. Unless, of course, they get past the Ravens this week on the road. If he does that -- and he's gonna have to play a bigger role bc the Ravens are not gonna get bitch-slapped by Derrick Henry as easily as the Pats were -- then you'd be hard-pressed to not give him a long-term deal. In short, this game means everything to Tannehill's foreseeable future.

Draft saved Draft deleted