1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Be swifter, higher and stronger. But don't kneel

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by HanSenSE, Jan 10, 2020.

1. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

OscarMadison likes this.
  2. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

I didn't realize Clay Travis was on the IOC.

3. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Wouldn't surprise me if a couple American athletes do it anyway, then are paid by some American advertiser for having done so. Wokenomics.

4. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I was thinking about this earlier, and was thinking the exact opposite.

There is nothing unique about being Colin Kaepernick (to use the obvious example) anymore. Kaepernick beat everyone else to it. So my guess would be that putting a fist in the air or kneeling or some other form of protest is not something a Nike still sees as a unique thing to built a marketing campaign around at this point. It's already been done.

Which was why I thought that aside from whatever global political consideration might behind their thinking that I have no clue about. ... the IOC would have been best just leaving this one alone. I'd guess that if an athlete on the podium does something controversial, it's way more likely to cost them the endorsements they'd have gotten from medalling than it is to net them endorsements, because by and large companies want to avoid controversy. That is going to be a natural deterrent, and if it doesn't deter any particular athletes, I am guessing the "punishment" is likely to take care of itself in lost endorsements.

5. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

Is someone going to drop Simone Biles if she raises a fist on the podium? I don't see it. Top-flight, well liked (or even beloved) American athletes get a lot of leeway. Do you think Michael Phelps would have lost endorsements if he raised a fist while winning the most gold medals of any athlete ever?

I agree that the IOC should have kept its corporate trap shut.

6. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

I think they’d lose some deals and pick up replacements in short order. No net change but still eventful.

7. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

Yeah, I was only moderately aware that Olympians recently had made political gestures and the like when given the stage. Saying "don't do it" is just going to create an environment that actually induces athletes to do it. Most of these people are not well-known outside their niche sports, but if they can make a grand gesture on the world's stage, they can up their profile tremendously. Sure, that's a bit cynical, but it's naive to think such gestures are always borne of a political or moral conscience. Sometimes it's straight cash, homey.

HanSenSE likes this.
  8. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

9. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

The IOC could have made this rule in 1968 after Mexico City and chose not to. What changed?

10. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

There weren't faint-hearted, pussified magas around back then.

heyabbott likes this.
  11. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Just Avery Brundage.

matt_garth likes this.
  12. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Duh, he’s the kind of slug who would demand 9 year old boy prostitutes as part of a his bribe.

Draft saved Draft deleted