1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Vermont senator: No cell phones till you're 21

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Songbird, Jan 9, 2020.

1. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Is this guy mad about the cigarette age being raised? Trying to prove some kind of point?

2. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Oh, he thinks the gubment is coming for his guns:

Bill would ban cellphone use for those under 21

3. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Mr. Rodgers was making a point.

The bill was introduced by Sen. John Rodgers, D-Essex-Orleans. Rodgers said Wednesday he introduced the bill to make a point.

“I have no delusions that it’s going to pass. I wouldn’t probably vote for it myself,” he said.

He said he’s a strong supporter of the Second Amendment and the Legislature “seems bent on taking away our Second Amendment rights.”

He said, based on the information presented in the bill, a cellphone is much more dangerous than a gun.

Read the full story.

4. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

You want a phone to stay in contact?
    I'll give you a phone to stay in contact.
    [​IMG]

5. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

That translates into every kid's excuse when the teacher catches them on their smart phone in class. "My dad (or mom) was texting me."

As you said, if it is a family emergency, the parents need to be contacting the school. If it is a school emergency, the child needs to be listening to the teacher or administrator in the building.

Inky_Wretch likes this.
  6. outofplace

We knew he was an idiot. Now we know what type of idiot.

7. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

First they came for my plastic bags - and I said nothing, Then they came for my straw - and I said nothing. Now they've come for my balloon.

How and why some bills get introduced is a scary thing. First you have the syndicates like ALEC who hold a conference with businesses and special interests and ask them what they want - then they write up a bill and find someone in as many state legislatures as they can to introduce the bill. The brighter legislators they get to do this will actually fill in their state's name where applicable in the bill, instead of another state where the legislation has already passes. But some don't and its fixable. Lobbyists have found its cheaper and easier to get bills through a bunch of state legislatures than a divided Congress. Then you have the water-carriers for big donors who have personal pet peeves or want a bill passed that will soley affect their situation for the better, a tax break, a land-use law, or some guy tho think schools should be able to practice enhanced interrogation measures on kids. In most states, each legislator is allowed to submit X number of bills, whether they have a chance in hell of being passed by the majority or not. The lesser lights don't realize they should partner with a legislator who actually has more ideas for bills that could be passed than they can submit. The brighter ones actually crowd source bills from their district - getting a girl scout troop's idea to allow people to break windows of cars if an animal is suffering inside from extreme heat (like you can do for a person) for example.

heyabbott likes this.
  8. britwrit

britwrit Well-Known Member

This is how we did it in the old neighborhood.

[​IMG]

BitterYoungMatador2 likes this.
  9. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Looks like cars kill a lot of teens from reading that bill...

10. outofplace

If only automobiles and smart phones had uses other than killing to justify their existence. Oh, wait..

11. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

What is that, some sort of time machine? It doesn't look much like a DeLorean.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2020
  12. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

I’ve often wondered how my life would be impacted if I gave up my cellphone, even for a week. More than the obvious reasons why I’m hesitant — something to distract me, streaming shows on the train, listening to my Pandora — I’m at base paranoid that something will happen to my daughter and I won’t know.

When I was 8, I almost died from a kidney ailment that came on out of the blue when my parents were at my sister’s school function. My ureters were blocked and I was basically being poisoned to death. I was wailing and throwing up and my babysitter didn’t know what to do. She called the school and they were able to track down my parents and the babysitter asked what she should do. My mother said to call 911, get an ambulance and they’d meet us at the hospital. They said if it’d gone like 30 minutes longer I would have probably died of sepsis. What if that babysitter hadn’t been able to track down my parents? Hopefully she would have had the awareness to call 911 herself without prompting, but maybe not. That is why I have no problem with my daughter having a cell and a GPS tracker. I still police her use, but no fucking way am I ever taking it away.

Draft saved Draft deleted