1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

USA Today-affiliated papers

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by reformedhack, Jan 8, 2020.

1. reformedhack

reformedhack Well-Known Member

Looking at today's front pages on newseum.com, I've noticed that the papers that are affiliated with bigger products — such as USA Today — look absolutely ridiculous not having the Iran missile-strike story on their front pages, instead sticking with an all-local front and choosing to refer to the insert on 11A or section B.

I get the reality that anyone paying attention to the news already knows this happened. But once upon a time, newspapers took seriously their responsibility to document big news and add context. Display on the front page adds the context. Papers have abdicated this important role.

Heck, a paper I used to work for didn't even bother to put the story in the paper. Instead, it did a skytease on 1A to complete coverage in the e-edition. That's a fine plan if the news had happened at midnight. But this was all over the public space by 7 p.m., and I'm guessing the design drones at McClatchy didn't want to rip up the news section to accommodate, you know, actual news.

Liut likes this.
  2. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

Unrelated other than it involves USA Today ...

Two or three days ago, it quoted a 24-hour raw-sewage-cycle day-time talking head in a standard news story.

Quote was total opinion, biased and was not essential at all.

I'm done with USA Today.

3. YourFace

YourFace New Member

Which papers are you talking about? The first four I looked at (USAT, Arizona, Delaware and Indianapolis) all had it on their fronts.

The smaller papers haven’t had this kind of stuff of their fronts in years.

4. tonygunk

tonygunk Member

Who picks up a local newspaper to read national news?

5. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Why do you refuse to acknowledge that it's a big world out there? And are you that eager to get readers to pursue other media outlets and stop reading your publication?

6. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Restructured workflow and deadlines at McClatchy started this week. Two wire reports created, one at 3:30 p.m. (for papers that deadline before 9:30) and one at 7 p.m. for the seven biggest papers. A half dozen 1As already had been typeset and had to be brought back JUST to get a 1A tease to the eEdition.

Donny in his element likes this.
  7. reformedhack

reformedhack Well-Known Member

Since new member Your Face asked, almost all of the Florida papers that insert USA Today into their daily report did not have more than a teaser to this story on 1A.

8. Severian

Severian Well-Known Member

Enjoy it while it lasts :'(

9. Danwriter

Danwriter Member

Roosevelt Wins Third Term!

10. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

Dewey defeats Truman

Draft saved Draft deleted