1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Any other United Methodists here?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Inky_Wretch, Feb 27, 2019.

1. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

How many members were in the UMC congregation?

2. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

That church? About 350.

3. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

The NT addresses homosexuality. Christ fulfilled the OT law so, certain matters - like divorce and the matter at hand - are thus addressed in the NT. Do with it what you'd like. Ignore it, fear it, whatever.

I'm sorry that a faction of a church ran a pastor and his wife out for drinking wine. That's legalism.

4. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

We had a bad experience at one UMC congregation here. The senior pastor left - voluntarily - to save the church money. The associate pastor who'd been there something like 30 years - which is unheard of - was promoted. After about six months, she shuttered the contemporary service that was being led by a lay minister. She gave no warning. No explanation. When asked about it, she claimed the lay minister leading it was serving communion without permission (even though the district superintendent had signed off on his doing so). Since that service was filled with most of the under-60 crowd, there was a mass departure. We committed to sticking it out for a year, but once it got to the point that our kid and the Sunday School teacher's kid were the only ones left we knew it was time to go. A year prior, more than 30 kids were in Sunday School.

We've landed in another - bigger UMC congregation. And now I'm dang president of the UMM chapter.

5. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Again, there is no content quoted nor is there any explanation here. It's in the New Testament. 'nuff said.

6. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

What about his emails?

7. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Replay on the emails was inconclusive:

8. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

I’ve listed the book and chapter in this thread.

9. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

He's going to keep shaking you like a lulav and etrog no matter what you say. Lastwordism is his jam.

10. outofplace

And I have correctly told you that is like posting the sources cited list without the essay.

11. outofplace

Nah, but calling people out when they are full of shit is very much my jam.

12. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

So there are no verses in the NT?

Draft saved Draft deleted