1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Columbus Dispatch sold

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by JayFarrar, Jun 3, 2015.

1. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

Warren Buffett's joint is buying papers as well.

But, yeah, them and GateHouse, appear to be the only two major players out there buying up shops.

2. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

I don't Berkshire has bought very much after the Media General acquisition. They have bought some papers in the Mid-Atlantic near the Media General properties and a couple near the Tulsa paper. But if Buffett was really interested in the newspapers he could buy the industry out of his cash drawer.

I also think that Buffett is the buyer of choice for an owner who is willing to take a lower price to quasi-protect his employees. Buffett is no saint but I don't think Berkshire is as aggressive a cost cutter as Gatehouse.

3. SFIND

SFIND Well-Known Member

4. bevo

bevo Member

SFIND likes this.
  5. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Is Columbus a union newsroom?

6. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

Ray just advertised for a sports reporter. Bet that's on hold now. My thoughts to everyone there.

Wicked, I think the answer is no. I think Toledo is the only unionized newsroom of the big, big cities in Ohio.

7. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

SFIND likes this.
  8. SFIND

SFIND Well-Known Member

Columbus, Indiana still has its own printing facility, too.

As a result of this printing plant closure, Cincinnati will be printed in Louisville.

Probably doesn't make much difference for Cinci, though -- they already have extremely early deadlines.

9. Equalizer

Equalizer Member

This is the beginning of what I think will be a bloody week for the Gannett/GateHousers.

10. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Not the Dispatch, but this is what this leads to:

11. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

I guess I’m spoiled by us keeping the desk in-house. That’s absolutely insane.

12. wheels89

wheels89 Active Member

Does this mean Cincinnati is also headed back to a broadsheet?

Draft saved Draft deleted