1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Any other United Methodists here?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Inky_Wretch, Feb 27, 2019.

1. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I just caught up on this thread and I'm surprised the following clip hasn't been posted because I know I'm not the only fan of The West Wing on this site.

I'm guessing you will shove your head in the sand rather than actually process the point because people like you prefer your willful ignorance.

2. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

The *New Testament* addresses the issue. It must have escaped Aaron Sorkin’s attention.

At any rate, as I’ve said, people can interpret the OT and NT verses however they want to interpret it. I’m fine with gay marriage as it relates to the state. I’m fine with it being legal, and it was not entirely uncommon in those Roman days when Paul wrote what he wrote. As it relates to the church, go ahead and examine the verses and draw...whatever conclusion you like.

I do think it’s fair, however, to note that citing Leviticus, while dodging the NT verses, represents a cheap trick.

3. outofplace

Please explain how the New Testament addresses the issue. Also, which issue are you even talking about? Is it the issue of the Bible allowing slavery? Is it the issue of Christians ignoring some parts of the Bible they feel comfortable leaving behind while clinging to others? Is it the issue that the choices people make regarding which rules to cling to seem to reveal something about their character? Please clarify.

4. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Really?

5. outofplace

Apparently, the use of rhetoric escapes you. Moving on...

Seriously, explain how the New Testament addresses any of those issues.

6. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Romans 1 clearly addresses it. So does 1 Corinthians 6. I think Matthew 19:12 does but there’s considerable debate about that.

7. outofplace

Great. That is completely useless. I asked for an actual explanation, not a research assignment.

Back up your claim or shut up. Explain why it is okay to throw out some rules in the Old Testament, but not others.

8. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

Irony:
    When some Bible Belt bible thumper says, "Homos are going to haaaaaill. Pass me some more barbecue."

9. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

I’ll pass, headmaster.

10. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Why is that ironic? Are you under the impression Christians are governed by kosher law?

11. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

No, but most evangelicals in my area cherry pick Leviticus when it comes to the stuff they don't like.
    "You can't be gay, but it's perfectly ok to wear a poly/cotton t-shirt with the sleeves cut out to show off your tats while working in the garden."

12. outofplace

So you can't do it. Your claim doesn't hold up because you can't support it. Thank you very much for proving me right.

Draft saved Draft deleted