1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2020 NFL Off-season

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by heyabbott, Dec 30, 2019.

1. Jake from State Farm

Jake from State Farm Well-Known Member

This
    The Lions are so bad people underrate their total suckiness
    Their greatest players, Barry Sanders and Calvin Johnson, retired rather than put up with their BS
    And the Lions handled both in a Lionlike way
    Asking for their $$$ back

2. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

I think cases can be made for all of these teams, FWIW - Lions have at least made the playoffs from time to time. The oft-repeated stat of last week is that the Browns were the only NFL team without a winning record in a year in the 2010s. Washington has the awful name, and Snyder, and they suck. The Jets have had some really humorous lows - butt fumble - but I would say they're a bit above those three.

3. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Twice this century, early in each decade, the Jets were marginal playoff teams under Herm and Rex Ryan and reached one conference title game. Those qualify the franchise above their suckitude rivals.

4. Jake from State Farm

Jake from State Farm Well-Known Member

The Lions haven’t won a division title since 1993
    Their only appearance in a NFC title game was a 41-14 loss
    Lions fans think Wayne Fontes and Jim Caldwell are good coaches and for the Lions, they are
    They have never made and will never make a Super Bowl in my lifetime
    Rebuilding since 1957

5. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

The ownership stuff has been a disaster since Bowlen stepped down from running day-to-day operations -- and the product on the field has followed course the past four years.

I agree that everything needs to be spelled out way ahead of time and from personal experience, it's such a vital thing.

My sister and brother-in-law amassed a decent amount of wealth until their deaths in 2017. And for the most part, they spelled out in their wills where that wealth should go under several scenarios, including if all four of them died.

Unfortunately, they didn't tell the executor of their estates (me) that I would in fact be the executor. So when we got into the wills and opened the estates, there were a lot of holes that I and their lawyer had to fill in -- but with lots of input from the five other beneficiaries. And the more we dug into things, the more webs there were to it.

Included in that was what would they want us to do with their large plumbing and heating business that employed 120 people at their deaths? Their large home? Their rental properties? Their second home in the mountains? Another home they were building in Mexico? And many other things. None of that was spelled out. Nor did they talk to me about it in a "just in case" conversation.

We were quite fortunate in that all of the beneficiaries (my brother-in-law's sister and brother, myself, my two brothers and my sister) were able to come together and we discussed everything and all of the steps we were going to take and come to a consensus. There was hardly any fighting among ourselves and we feel everything we did would have been what Jeff and Jen wanted.

Again, we're not talking billions of dollars here like the Broncos, but it was a pretty good chunk of money and assets. We were lucky in that we all got along, yet it was still a trying and difficult process. I couldn't imagine what it would be like dealing with lawsuits and constant in-fighting.

So, yes, if you get wealthy, lay out everything you want done and talk to those who will be affected. Because as I found out from personal experience, you never know when something bad is going to happen.

Sorry for the threadjack. Back to the offseason.

sgreenwell and ChrisLong like this.
  6. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

Steelers place three first team All-Pros on defense (Watt, Heyward, Fitzpatrick) and don’t even make playoffs. Wonder if that’s ever happened before.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2020
  7. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Don’t lose faith; I never thought I’d see either the Ws win again (after ‘75) or the Giants would ever win in SF in my lifetime.

8. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Sorry to hear about your loss. Nice job.

MileHigh likes this.
  9. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

They still haven't been as consistently bad as the Browns since their return. Cleveland has one playoff appearance since it got its expansion team in 1999. Despite the intentional misdirection of the league records, the old Browns are not the team in Cleveland right now. That franchise is in Baltimore. So what you have is 21 seasons with one playoff appearance, and that was a humiliating loss to their biggest rival in a Wild Card game in January of 2003. It wasn't a blowout, but they blew a double-digit lead in the fourth quarter and when they had a shot at a third-down conversion that would have put the game away, they dropped a pass. It is one of my fondest football memories. :)

That season was one of only two in which the Browns even reached the .500 mark. They went 10-6 and missed the playoffs in 2007. Like the Lions, they have seen true rock bottom with an 0-16 season. The Lions made the playoffs in 1999 and three times since then. I don't think they have had quite as much upheaval in the coaching staff or the front office, though neither is a model of stability.

I could be wrong about this. Clearly, you know the Lions' history better. I just think the Browns are a tiny bit more of a mess.

10. outofplace

No need to apologize for that. Many of us remember the loss you and your family suffered. I'm glad at least that part didn't turn ugly. I know from experience just how bad it get.

11. outofplace

That tells you just how putrid the offense was this season. It's really an amazing change after years of outstanding offenses held back by terrible defensive units. They finished fifth in the NFL in yards allowed per game and points allowed per game. Much of that was because they led the league in sacks and turnovers forced and they were second in interceptions. It is tough to do that with an offense that is near the bottom of the league in time of possession and turnovers.

12. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

The Lions aren't impatient enough with coaches and GMs. They hang on to clowns far too long.

Draft saved Draft deleted