1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Latest newspapers dropping print editions

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Mr. X, Jan 3, 2020.

1. Mr. X

Mr. X Active Member

2. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

Two things I found interesting in the article.

1. 70% of the print subscribers to the Maine papers have not signed up for any electronic product.

2. The Maine papers also distribute the national papers such as the NYT, etc. The executive quoted said that the national publishers will have to either wait until Tuesday and get two papers delivered to homes or pay the entire cost of the distributors to deliver on Monday. These smaller papers dropping seven day service will probably mean the end of national home delivery for the NYT and the WSJ.

Also, has every McClatchy paper stopped or is planning to stop Saturday delivery or does the chain have some holdouts who will continue to publish seven days a week?

3. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Too bad, though at least they aren’t eliminating newsroom jobs along with it. Back in the day I worked with someone who now works at one of those papers. He regularly posts link to the tremendous work they do there.

4. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

All McClatchy papers will eventually drop Saturday print (although "print pages" are still being built as part of the eEdition).

Kansas City and Miami will be the last wave in mid-March. Charlotte, Bradenton, Fort Worth, Raleigh and Sacramento some time before that.

5. LanceyHoward

It will be interesting to see what the revenue drops will be for McClatchy as compared to Gannett/Gatehouse and Lee, which as far as I know, have not reduced printing frequemcy.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2020
  6. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Gannett/GateHouse is now adding an "online extra" component to its e-editions. It's 10-12 "pages" of wire stories. I'm not sure if that's a new thing or existed before the merger in some other form. I'm thinking that won't move the needle for subscribers.

7. Equalizer

Equalizer Member

GH was doing this in my last few months there.

8. Severian

Severian Well-Known Member

Who still reads newspaper "e-editions"?

9. SFIND

SFIND Well-Known Member

Is there a bigger waste of time and resources than this? I don't have access to analytics of e-editions for our chain but I've been told these extra sections are largely ignored.

Anecdotally I've yet to talk to anyone (whether they read ours or another company's paper) that reads these extra sections.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2020
    2muchcoffeeman likes this.
  10. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

I always forget the e-edition is part of my digital subscriptions. It’s a transitional product meant to ease in readers who aren’t used to having to scroll to find stories — and also exposes the existential weakness of digital news presentation, which is making the reader scroll to find poorly categorized stories. If news websites were better, there would be no need for a digital replica of the print edition.

wicked likes this.
  11. LanceyHoward

I wonder how long if McClatchy will eventually drop them. Does Newhouse, which at most of their locations only offers home delivery three or four times a week, still produce e-editions?

12. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

The thing about the eEdition: It still follows the regular print deadline (give or take 15 minutes), even on the nights when no physical paper goes to press.

Draft saved Draft deleted