1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Anyone here believe in chiropractic services?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by qtlaw, Dec 30, 2019.

1. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

Was it Kinesio tape? If so, you're far from alone in not knowing how it works. There are a few studies suggesting it has benefits, but there are far more that say otherwise.

2. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Had a pinched nerve a while back sending pain down my right arm. Chiropractor said it would be fixed in about a dozen sessions. After two dozen, the pain was gone.

But I don't know if it would have gone away eventually anyway with time.

The thing that gnawed at me over this particular chiropractor was that his place was like a meat market. Come in, he presses hard once on the back, makes a neck adjustment, does some electronic acupuncture in the ear, and you're done. In three minutes.

So what happens during any one session? Does a bone move one-tenth of a millimeter? Why can't he do 10 at one time and take, say, 15 minutes and move the bone a whole millimeter? (I know, more money). Something just seems off.

3. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

That’s my question, my guy was doing something with a push button, not even using his hands and you hear a snap and that’s it. Seems almost hokey. I forgot my kids wrestling coach is a chiro in town, I’m going there.

4. Dog8Cats

Dog8Cats Well-Known Member

I believe in chiropractic and physical therapy treatment from the right practitioners.

Too many physical therapists want to do only stuff you could do at home - ice/heat, stretching, rehab exercises - rather than addressing the biomechanics of an issue. If the first thing a physical therapist does isn't assessing your overall alignment, take your wallet elsewhere - in a hurry. If a therapist isn't interested in manipulating your body to address the issues, think hard about finding one who will.

Unless your insurance requires it, don't waste the time and money to see a general practitioner/primary care provider before going to a chiropractor/physical therapist. All the MD will do is tell you to take pain relievers, "stay off it for a while" and recommend orthotics/braces that won't address the underlying issue. The only time I go to a doctor nowadays is the annual wellness exam and for issues requiring prescriptions.

If you're seeking a reference for a chiropractor or PT, consider asking the folks at the local "real" running or biking shop (not Dick's or Big 5) where they go for injury treatment.

Wenders likes this.
  5. Junkie

Junkie Well-Known Member

A friend and her husband are DCs. They say:

--Don't buy anyone who says "this will take X-amount of visits" ahead of time. They're just trying to take your money.
    --Don't go to a practice that is cash only.
    --Don't go to a practice that doesn't accept major insurances.

Most of chiropractic success revolves around marketing. They will go to great lengths to hook you.

Wenders likes this.
  6. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

In my most recent interaction with a chiropractor the situation was he was banging a patient that he then hired. He would give her treatment when she needed it. She was hot and the machines used in treatment were highly suggestive. It was weird when I was watching demonstrations of the therapy.

I know it is a cliche, but my sense is there is a lot of hustle in chiropractors and you should be wary.

Draft saved Draft deleted