1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

TJ Simers gets $14.5M from LA Times

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Regan MacNeil, Aug 19, 2019.

1. Fredrick

Fredrick Well-Known Member

Thanks for admitting that. I wonder if that is even legal? The grades are/were a sham. Just tell us we're getting no raises or at the most 1 percent. ...Guess what, suits? We know what you are doing.

2. Tweener

Tweener Well-Known Member

I’ve always received strong reviews but have also always told that even the best raises were only 2-3 percent. Was never happy about that but at least I appreciated the honest review process.

3. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

4. Fredrick

No offense to you, but this is why I despise suits or at least what they stand for. You should have resigned rather than cooperate in this instance.

5. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Yeah, why didn’t you give up your livelihood?

6. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

7. Screwball

Screwball Active Member

He never got it. The payment was put on hold until the appeals were exhausted, and twice now the judge has overruled the jury. Simers has proven his case and the appeals are limited to the amount of damages, but the case was filed six years ago and he's about to turn 70.

8. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

Ah that’s too bad

9. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

He'll make up for it in interest on money that hasn't already been paid.

10. Gold

Gold Active Member

I think there will be a settlement. The LA Times has a new owner so they have an incentive to put this matter behind them. Simers's attorney took some heat from the judge, adding incentive to make a settlement. With interest, $8 or $9 million could settle this matter.

11. Fredrick

Has Simers received any money yet or not? I feel like he's getting ripped off a bit. He won the initial case. Has to be awful to have the verdict switch on appeal.

12. Gold

Gold Active Member

I think one of the articles posted indicated he hasn't received any money yet.

Draft saved Draft deleted