1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Got would?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Bob Smith, Dec 27, 2019.

1. Matt Stephens

Matt Stephens Well-Known Member

“Currently”

inthesuburbs and Liut like this.
  2. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

Woke Up With Would

3. Bronco77

Bronco77 Well-Known Member

Our old-fogey readership includes many people with lots of time on their hands who like to call or email whenever they spot an error or redundancy, and only then does management take such criticism seriously. I'm hoping someone calls us out on "different" and a few other pet peeves so I can say, "I told you so."

4. baseballeditor123

baseballeditor123 New Member

These are all great. I hate "would go on to" and "were able to" with a fucking passion.

My least favorite, though? "Ultimately." And I see it more and more in young journalists.

The word ultimately doesn't do shit for a sentence. See? Take it out of that one. Never need it. Never adds anything.

The Patriots ultimately won the game. NO. The Patriots won the game.

Liut, Bronco77 and SFIND like this.
  5. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Ultimately, it seems, we would be talking about Pleonasm

Which is the use of more words or parts of words than are necessary or sufficient for clear expression. Pleonasm may also be used for emphasis or because a certain phrase has become established in a certain form (from the wiki).

In other words (many of them) . . .

"Ultimately, he would go on to hit a walk-off grand slam home run in the bottom of the inning to win the game"

Last edited: Jan 1, 2020
  6. ADanielPandR

ADanielPandR Member

"Losing effort" soured on me quickly. I've heard that on occasion from regional sports anchors, but it's mostly another SID phrase meant to put a positive spin on everything. From my experience, the people who use that term and/or teach their subordinates to are the same people who warn impartial credentialed reporters not to make their teams "look bad."

Liut likes this.
  7. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

The other irritating part of hospital references is when there are many hospitals in the area yet the reporter says they taken to THE hospital.

8. MeanGreenATO

MeanGreenATO Well-Known Member

Lots of folks need to read a copy of "The Elements of Style" and tighten copy.

9. Situation

Situation Member

Or LSU running back or star RB

10. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

Reminds me of an old writing teacher who said "that" can be eliminated from almost any sentence, usually by rewriting it with stronger adjectives.

11. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

"Fall" definitely falls into your category. Would not be surprised if "fall" originated with an SID.

12. ADanielPandR

ADanielPandR Member

Definitely. "Lose" and "loss" are four-letter words for some people, which is why they never fail to substitute "fall" for the former or turn the latter into an adjective while adding an extra word to remind everyone "the team tried their best, so they're basically still winners." Meanwhile, behind closed doors, there's a 50-50 chance the coach filled the locker room with actual four-letter words, and even hyperpartisan spectators probably would not fault him/her.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2020
    Liut likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted