1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

And the Oscar for Best Actor goes to ... Adam Sandler

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Songbird, Dec 10, 2019.

1. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Just watched it ... and I was let down all the way around.

Felt forced. Parts of it felt contrived. Very little heart and no soul.

And Sandler may still win the Oscar if he's nominated but I didn't feel him like I did in Funny People.

2. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

Don't watch 'Good Time' then.

3. Songbird

The one person who was outstanding, mostly because of his menacing ice-blue stare, was Eric Bogosian.

4. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Probably the best reviews of Sandler's career and decent box office for an indie - and I'm guessing his fans thought they were going to be getting something else. Almost a 40 percent difference between critics and the audience (which is odd, because typically audiences go to see a movie they expect to enjoy).
    Uncut Gems (2019)

5. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Saw the movie Wednesday night. IMHO, best performance I've seen this year. Sandler became the character.

CD Boogie likes this.
  6. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

Had posted this in Last Movie thread bc I forgot about this thread:

Uncut Gems was really good. Sandler deserves an Oscar nomination. A manic film about a guy who is a king fuck up degenerate gambler who consistently makes awful decisions. Violent and loud. Almost too loud. Kevin Garnett plays a central role and basically plays himself, so that’s not much of a stretch. Also a nice cameo from The Weeknd, if only for giving Sandler the opportunity to say, “Fuck The Weeknd.”

The ending was unexpected but totally fitting.

Was initially worried in beginning when Mike Francesa was in several scenes as a bookie.

Read today that this was the first acting role ever for the guy who played the heavy for Bogosian. He nailed it.

Dog8Cats likes this.
  7. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Saw it tonight, darned good. "Manic" is the right word for it, and Sandler's performance is excellent. And Francesa was just fine, go figure!

8. Songbird

I'm not giving much away but the scene where Sandler breaks down and cries was so bad and reminded me of this ...

9. CD Boogie

I'll grant you that, people in the theater were laughing during that scene. But I couldn't figure out if it was because it made them uncomfortable because it was Adam Sandler crying or because even at his nadir there was something kind of hilarious about how ridiculous his character could allow themselves to become.

10. Songbird

Yeah, up until that moment I was able to deal with the movie, warts and all.

But that scene is when it jumped the shark for me.

And I think it was you who mentioned Bogosian's heavy and I agree that he too was strong.

11. OscarMadison

OscarMadison Well-Known Member

Sandler is good as long as he's not expected to do much emotional heavy lifting. My favorites of his performances are in The Waterboy* and Spanglish.

I saw Cut Gems yesterday. My assessment is somewhere directly between "Ermahgerd! Breelyunts!" and "Meh."**

*Talk smack about The Waterboy and I will meet you in the parking lot, strip to the waist, and end you.
    **My date spent most of our time together defending the brilliance of Rick Reilly. ::sigh::

12. CD Boogie

You should see the uncut version ;)

OscarMadison likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted