1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Anyone here believe in chiropractic services?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by qtlaw, Dec 30, 2019.

1. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Went to one for the first time and got a consultation and an initial adjustment. Not sure what to think. Seems pretty minimal work but I may be wrong.

Would love whatever feedback the community can provide.

2. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

I think it’s okay, but I wouldn’t let them eff with my neck if I were you.

3. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Never knew much about it until my daughter married one. I was having some knee issues and I let him have a go of it. It was a miracle. He worked on my back last time I was there.
    Do some research. Makes sure he/she knows what he/she is doing.
    But I'm a convert. My doctor told me I was a year or so away from a knee replacement. My son-in-law told me I was misaligned. He said getting aligned combined with the weight I was losing would make all the difference.

It has.

Dog8Cats likes this.
  4. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

I see one when I really need one (neck locks up, shoulder pain, etc.). I don't get regular adjustments. It's helped every time.

5. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

Went today, the third time since last Monday. It makes a world of difference for me if I go regularly, which I hadn't done for the last few months.

The first time I ever went to one was six or seven years ago. I was all warmed up at the gym, stepped in the rack to do a front squat and my back about went out on the way down. Suffice to say, that was the end of the gym for the day. I went to the chiropractor a few days later, where they did X-rays and found that one hip was 1 1/2" higher than the other. It took about three months to get me back in alignment.

I'm a believer.

6. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

I've gone every 6 months since I was a teenager. I can feel it when my back,neck,hips are out......the backs of my shoulders start to hurt.
    Absolute believer.

7. Wenders

Wenders Well-Known Member

I go see a chiropractor about four times a year. I have had knee issues since my early 20s, and he gets my hips and lower back all straightened out.

I see a massage therapist about every other month. Sitting at a desk for 8 hours a day jacks up one's muscles, especially in. my shoulders and middle back.

Basically, if you're having joint issues, see a chiropractor. If you're having muscle issues, see a masseuse. Be honest with them about where you're having issues, where you've had issues in the past, any injuries you've had in the past, what treatments you've had in the past. Also, post-treatment, if you have a bathtub, go get yourself some epsom salts and take a hot bath with the salts in. It will help with any residual soreness.

8. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

Definitely do your research, not just on the chiropractor but on chiropractic itself and whether it's the best thing for what ails you (as opposed to, say, physiotherapy). If their website and/or promotion materials don't make it clear, ask any prospective chiropractor where they stand on subluxation theory and whether it is the cause of most (if not all) diseases. It seems that chiropractors fall into two camps, "straights" and "mixers". The former camp treats spinal manipulation as a cure-all while the latter is more open to physiotherapy and other aspects of mainstream medicine. Approach anyone from the "straights" camp with caution as the belief spinal manipulation cures all ills has led some chiropractors to claim they can cure ailments such as ADHD, autism, and cancer.

You might also want to inquire as to any chiropractor's stance on vaccines, especially if you have young children, elderly, or immunocompromised people in your life. The world of chiropractic seems to be a hotbed for all manner of pseudoscience, especially anti-vaccine beliefs, which have been a feature of the practice almost as long as the practice has existed. Keep an ear out for phrases such as "pro-safe vaccines" or "pro-informed choice" as they're euphemistic fig leaves for the same position.

9. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

Hercules agrees.

10. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Have a relative who has been involved in medicine basically my entire life.

She has zero use for chiropractors. Being kind, she thinks they're full of it.

11. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Thanks good advice. This guy was a subluxation guy.

12. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

I'm not pro or con chiropractic. I have a good friend, who I've known since we were kids, who is a successful chiropractor. When my daughter was playing club volleyball, one of the dads was a chiropractor. He brought his table to the matches. One time, my kid twisted her knee. He used that sports tape and she felt no pain whatsoever. I don't know how that tape works, but it seems to work really well, and learning how to use it is the key, I think.

A couple of decades ago, we had a Health Fair at work. All of the different medical insurance companies had booths. We could go from booth to booth to find out about their coverage and we could decide what we wanted later.

One of the booths was a chiropractic group. They had a double scale contraption. It was two scales. You put one foot on each and the combined reading should be your accurate weight. The numbers should be the same, but it they aren't, it indicates that your body structure is off, you're out of balance and you can use chiropractic to get straightened out. It seems like mumbo-jumbo to me.

Jump ahead a few years, I was having back trouble. I decided to visit a chiropractor. We were talking about his craft, and I told him I was a bit skeptical. He gave me his whole presentation. I told him about the scale contraption. He laughed and said, "Some guys will do anything to get you into their office." I saw this guy for a few weeks then stopped. Then my back flared up again so I went back to him. He had one of those scale contraptions in his office. I saw it, pointed and laughed. He shrugged his shoulders.

Draft saved Draft deleted