1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Today in cops gone feral

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by dixiehack, Sep 1, 2017.

1. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

2. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Concussion protocol.

3. melock

melock Well-Known Member

4. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

And test the cops for steroids.

5. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Did look like a fit of 'roid rage, didn't it?

6. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

7. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

Anything to play the victim. Cops feel like they're under attack (if the public statements of police unions and FOE officials are anything to go by), a delusion that is supported by their superiors and certain individuals in government. Evidently it's only engaging in outrage culture if someone you disagree with does it.

8. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I read the story and the cop that wrote the message intended it as a joke and sent it to his chief (small department) who posted it on the department's facebook acct and assumed it was a serious attack on police. After it "blew up" the cop didn't want to admit the truth.

I do think most cops feel they are being persecuted and are justified in the "us or them" mentality they develop. Most departments try and root it out with a new chief, but you need to do it with the mid-level supervisor staff that deals with street cops every day.
    I watched the great BBC show Line of Duty and I think their departments are a lot more professionally run. Most British cops don't carry and you have to wait at least a couple of years before you can try and become part of an armed police unit. Might not work with the gun culture we have here, but waiting until a cop can show he or she can resolve an issue without being armed before giving them a gun might help them develop deescalation strategies.

9. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I understand cop humor - spent some time as a police cadet and witnessed some of the ways cops used to deal with the human misery they deal with on the job - that said - there seems to be a severe breakdown in either the evaluation of potential hires or in the ways police are trained these days. I'm sure these two are toast, but cops need to realize if one cop does something, the public perception is that ALL cops do something.

Alabama cops appear to ridicule homeless people in viral Facebook post

10. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

11. HappyCurmudgeon

HappyCurmudgeon Well-Known Member

12. HappyCurmudgeon

HappyCurmudgeon Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted