1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Got would?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Bob Smith, Dec 27, 2019.

1. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

Fuck you, Jeff Samardzija!

2. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Lately my nemesis has been LSU running back Clyde Edwards-Helaire.

Liut and Regan MacNeil like this.
  3. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

LOL!

4. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

I've got radio and SID friends I've tried to beat it out of 25 years. I've pointed it out. I've explained why it's bad. I get nowhere.

Batman and Liut like this.
  5. apeman33

apeman33 Well-Known Member

For the brief time we had weekly competitor, I'd take a red pen and circle all the "would"s in the sports stories. It's amazing how that word can become a crutch to an inexperienced writer who doesn't have anyone with enough experience working with him to tell him just how awfully it reads.

One week, there were 30 uses of it just on the front page of the section. It looked like I'd cut my finger and bled on the page.

Bronco77 and Liut like this.
  6. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

And yet you persist. Clearly, you would not be denied.

Bud_Bundy and Driftwood like this.
  7. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

8. Bronco77

Bronco77 Well-Known Member

Always thought "would" was wordy and used by mediocre writers trying to make themselves look better than they really were.

Agree with every point about "fall" -- generally not a good substitute for "lose," but it's a safety valve for those tight headline specs.

A phrase that bugs me is "Smith went down with an injury." Why not say he "left the game with an injury" or something similar? I recall many years telling and retelling a writer not to use the expression. Years later, after he'd moved on to another paper, I read one of his stories online and he was still using it.

In my final years on a sports desk, the headline name I probably dreaded most was "Antetokounmpo."

Liut likes this.
  9. bpoindexter

bpoindexter Active Member

During this holiday season, we should all be thankful we never had to write the hed "Samardzija, Schnellenberger, Antetokounmpo lead Podunk to homecoming win."

10. bpoindexter

bpoindexter Active Member

Just call him "CEH." Maybe it will catch on.

11. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Lest we forget the agate nightmare that is Mark Calcavecchia winning in a playoff.

12. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Another word on my list is "different." When one writes "Brady was 22-of-32 passing for 305 yards and two touchdowns, completing passes to five different receivers." Do you need the "different" in there?

Draft saved Draft deleted