1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Let's Go Bowling------2019-20 Bowl Game Running Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Chef2, Dec 9, 2019.

1. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Wonder if the two-week gap between the semifinals and the finals isn't designed to help fans and ticket sale after last year in Santa Clara? Like the two-week break between the NFC and AFC titles games before the Super Bowl. Unless the public is really screaming to see Miami (Ohio) and La.-Lafayette in the Lending Tree Bowl on Jan.6.

2. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Thanks. Didn't know it was the Rose's turn for a playoff game.

3. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

No, it's just a quirk this year. The title game site was set before the semifinal switch was made off New Year's Eve. The next time the semis are held on the 27th/28th, the title game will be nine days later, on the first Monday of January.

justgladtobehere likes this.
  4. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

5. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

According to ESPN - you can get into either semi for less than $70 on the secondary market.

6. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

If I was within 3 or 4 hours for me to get to either one, it would be a fun trip.
    Sadly, I'm 13 1/2 hours to Phoenix and 17 plus to Atl.

7. Jake from State Farm

Jake from State Farm Well-Known Member

The Rose Bowl should be the championship game every year

tapintoamerica likes this.
  8. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I used to love the frequently bizarre Orange Bowl halftime shows in the 70s and 80s. Usually the only thing watchable in that game when Nebraska or Oklahoma would bulldoze an ACC school.

9. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Criqui/Trumpy on New Years Night on NBC.

10. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

I get the feeling that college football is where college basketball was in the mid-90s — at a serious crossroads.

Yeah, it's different in that you don't have stars like Kobe and Garnett going straight to the pros. But the one-and-dones aren't doing much either to build interest. You have to hunt to find them on TV nowadays, unless they play for Duke or Kansas or Kentucky. Memphis? Good luck.

(The good old days where stars like Tim Duncan stayed for four years are long gone. Hell, Duncan may have been the last one.)

The bottom line of my argument is, a lot of stars are leaving for the NFL with one or two years of eligibility left. Can't blame 'em with the money. But money was the same thing that killed college basketball too.

11. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

The Outdoors Texas Bowl is being played indoors

12. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

And the Holiday Bowl is not being played on a holiday.

Draft saved Draft deleted