1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

To be settled once and for all.......

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Chef2, Dec 24, 2019.

?

Is Die Hard a Christmas Movie?

1. Yes

24 vote(s)
    53.3%
  2. No

21 vote(s)
    46.7%
  1. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

I say no.

2. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

It's a movie that happens to take place at Christmas.

wicked, Chef2 and Batman like this.
  3. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Agree with this. Die Hard 2 is much more of a Christmas movie than the original.

4. daytonadan1983

daytonadan1983 Well-Known Member

Oh, here we go again!

5. OscarMadison

OscarMadison Well-Known Member

The only thing that makes Christmas Vacation closer to holiday perfection than Die Hard is Clark Griswald's rant at his boss and Randy Quaid screaming, "Shitter's full!" at the neighbors.

Yippee kai yi yay, mofos.

6. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

......and match.

7. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Playing games and stuff at my parents house tonight......one of our Christmas traditions is watching Christmas Vacation.
    Dad even broke out the Christmas Vacation playing cards while playing pitch.....

OscarMadison likes this.
  8. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

I’m comfortable being on the side opposite Chef. Not only is Die Hard a Christmas movie, it’s the best Christmas movie.

swingline and OscarMadison like this.
  9. Roscablo

Roscablo Well-Known Member

I've been watching it at Christmas for at least 20 years, before we had social media to hash this out. It's just fun and different for me this time of year. It's an entertaining movie. Is totally set at Christmas and the holiday is completely the foundation of how it all took place (John McClain is there for the holiday, it's a Christmas party that's easy takings -- or so they thought -- for the criminals, etc., actually has some Christmas themes). It has a great Christmas music soundtrack. It's funny because it was a summer blockbuster and I am sure all of that was almost just a joke or fun way for them to make a plot and had no idea it would become this annual debate, but it did. I mean it's not the warm and fuzzy white Christmas kind of thing, but it's still a good and different way to spend a couple of adult hours at Christmas time.

I bought a Die Hard Christmas themed Bluray last year and it's awesome. Total Christmas-themed packaging and cover, with some included Die Hard Christmas cards on the inside. Somewhere the powers that be decided it was at least a very good way to capitalize on the debate!

Anyone watch the Movies that Made Us on Netflix? There's a Die Hard episode and I'm sort of surprised they didn't touch on this debate at all.

OscarMadison and garrow like this.
  10. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

On behalf of Clark W. Griswold, I denounce this.

OscarMadison likes this.
  11. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

Absolutely a Christmas movie! Though, I’m pretty sure it originally came out in the summer.

I thought this WAS settled.

Regardless, Merry Christmas to all, no matter what side of the debate you fall on.

Liut, Chef2 and OscarMadison like this.
  12. OscarMadison

OscarMadison Well-Known Member

Gotta admit that I love the attic scene in Christmas Vacation. That he's stuck up there makes no sense, but there's still a sweetness to it. I also adore Aunt Bethany, bless her heart.

Draft saved Draft deleted