1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2019-2020 NHL season thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Sea Bass, Jun 16, 2019.

1. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Stinkers happen, but stinkers happening on back-to-back Mondays to a undermanned team is a slight cause for concern, if only because Columbus played the sort of game that would give the Caps fits in a playoff series. Not that Columbus will get there, but other teams will probably take notes.

OscarMadison likes this.
  2. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

The newest Flyers goon surfaced last night. Welcome to the penalty box, Nicolas Aube-Kubel.
    In the first period, he made a flying leap (yes, he jumped) and landed a shoulder right into the chin of the Ducks' Jacob Larsson, a clear head shot. No penalty, but he might get a call from the NHL police dept. Larsson took the hit and kept playing. In the second, Aube-Kubel went knee-to-knee with the Ducks' Troy Terry. Terry was carried off the ice and probably has a severe sprain or ligament damage. No announcement yet. That drew a whistle.

ADD: Terry has a broken leg. Larsson is day-to-day after being smashed in the face by that dude.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2019
  3. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Caps beat Tampa tonight for the third time in two weeks. At what point do the Lightning start getting concerned? They're not far out of third in the Atlantic but they have way too much talent to be middling like they've been this year.

OscarMadison likes this.
  4. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

I saw the Caps play the Devils Friday night in a pretty empty arena - the talent disparity was mind-boggling. The Devils made the playoffs season before last and I thought they were making some good progress. Wrong. They're really bad.

I'm trying to temper my excitement about the Caps, but I do think they're really good.

Tampa is an odd case. Such a talented team, I wonder if last year's playoff sweep has a lingering effect?

Also, the NHL schedule is weird. Last year, the Caps played Tampa three times very late. This year, three times in December. Spread it out a little huh?

OscarMadison and Liut like this.
  5. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

Just about everything that could go wrong for New Jersey has, or so it seems. Good segment of the fan base was ballistic a few weeks ago. I get the sense now some have lost interest.

6. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

They were pretty scrappy for a while, took a lead early, played fairly tough. But the Caps got two goals in the second during some four on four when speed and talent took over. And most of the arena got up and left. Goaltending isn't good, fans were all over Subban (several "overrated" chants).

Liut likes this.
  7. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Tonight's game between Vegas and San Jose is their last in the regular season.

8. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Caps and Penguins don’t play until Super Bowl Sunday, and all four games are on weekend afternoons

9. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

The 10-day forecast for the Winter Classic at the Cotton Bowl is partly cloudy, high of 58°. About as close to optimal ice conditions as you could have expected. Dallas has experience with bad weather mucking up big events.

10. JimmyHoward33

JimmyHoward33 Well-Known Member

Jeremy Roenick stepped in it in the Chiclets pod.

OscarMadison likes this.
  11. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Was just reading about this. He's an idiot. With all that has happened over the last several years, how can he still not be thinking about how things have changed and put some filters on himself?

I am assuming Kathryn Tappen isn't upset by it, because it sounds like she is friends with Roenick and his wife and they were all on vacation together and probably have a close relationship where they make those kinds of comments among themselves. If that isn't the case. ... you can totally disregard what I am about to say. He should be fired.

I am hoping what is happening now isn't that people can't make any distinction anymore between a Harvey Weinstein or Charlie Rose kind of creep and a Roenick type of idiot who presumably wasn't sexually harassing a colleague, but really needs to develop a mouth filter. Maybe a suspension is warranted, but I hope that he doesn't get fired if they are all friends and joke around between themselves that way, and it was him not being smart enough to have a filter when he really needed one.

I say that not even liking Roenick or his personality on the air.

OscarMadison likes this.
  12. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Great thing about podcasts - people speak freely and without filter. Bad thing about podcasts - people actually listen to them. Didn't realize Tappen used to be married to an NHLer.

Draft saved Draft deleted