1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Another story about a sports writer in a new job

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Inky_Wretch, Dec 20, 2019.

1. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Last edited: Dec 20, 2019
  2. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Almost everyone who has gotten out has said they are happier. Of course, it's a matter of finding that new job.

wicked and Inky_Wretch like this.
  3. Jake from State Farm

Jake from State Farm Well-Known Member

I worked with Josh
    Not surprised he’s living healthier
    CBD is huge in Florida

4. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

I tried CBD oil. Didn't do a thing for me. $80 down the drain. ... YMMV, though.

5. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

Good piece. The bit about Trump is spot-on. We are the enemy, it's open-season obnoxiousness and we're getting it from all sides.

I got on a plane recently and found myself seated next to a guy with a t-shirt that said: Rope. Tree. Journalist.

And yet everybody still wants our shit.

Tweener and wicked like this.
  6. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Wasn't there a story not long ago about someone who boarded a plane behind a guy wearing one of those gawdawful shirts and raised all kinds of hell?

7. gingerbread

gingerbread Well-Known Member

I'd have asked to move to another seat. I wouldn't go so far as to suggest he be removed from the flight, but no way do I want to be near someone wearing that.
    Imagine if he tried to board a flight wearing a shirt that read: Rope. Tree. Pilot.
    Earlier this year, Lisa Guerrero, bless her heart, went on a twitter rampage after she found those shirts were being sold in an airport gift shop. Not only did she get the shop to remove them, she got the company that owns the chain of gift shops to publicly apologize for carrying the offensive shirts.

8. Bud_Bundy

Bud_Bundy Well-Known Member

And that guy would have had a fit if somebody had worn a shirt that read: Rope. Tree. Trump.

9. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

I find all of that shit tacky. I don’t need your “Rope. tree..” shirts or your pussy hats. Why this country feels a need to broadcast its political leanings to strangers is beyond me.

JM22720 likes this.
  10. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

11. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

I thought this was wonderful to read, and I'm happy for Anthony Federico. I tried to look up the thread on here concerning this incident, but I guess it's too far back and not available, or the search function is not back up and working quite that well. Anyway, I remember being one of those who didn't read too much into the "Chink in the Armor" headline, and who didn't believe Federico was showing any veiled racism, or intending to do so, and I was against his losing his job over it, because I think intent matters in such things.

I also get this story, and this life change, and can relate to it. When your life gets torpedoed is exactly when something is most likely to change. Oftentimes, that's even the only way it will. What people frequently don't realize, because you can't until you go through it and gain some perspective, is that, sometimes, big, scary, initially bad-seeming change can turn out to be for the better.

And you might not miss your old life at all. It's just a different time, a different season in life, and that's how you look at it after a while.

Edit: I see someone pulled up that old thread. (So much for my searching abilities! Although I have to say, it would've helped to have, you know, the word Lin, or chink or ESPN or something obvious like that in the thread headline).

Last edited: Dec 22, 2019
    OscarMadison and wicked like this.
  12. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted