1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Greeley (Co.) Tribune lays off sports department

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Pilot, Dec 3, 2019.

1. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

I think that is an interesting story idea. But I think that story would require someone with an encyclopedic knowledge of FCS football which no one on the Greeley (or in fairness, most other papers that actually have sportswriters) possesses or a lot of research. And if someone took the time how many page views would it receive? I believe in the mind of Gatehouse executives analytical pieces do not generate enough page views to be worthwhile.

Liut likes this.
  2. JRoyal

JRoyal Well-Known Member

Depends how you phrase things. You don't have to look at every coach who made the jump. Just find some examples. Sample 10-20 coaches that made the jump if you can find them. You might need to call a few knowledgeable SIDs or others who are familiar with FCS to pick their brains, but I bet you could put a list together without a ton of leg work. And if you started down the road and find it's going to take a lot more work, you drop it before you invest too much time.

3. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Except we're talking Greeley here. The reporter assigned to that would no doubt have to cut it short so he/she could go take a photo of the Pet of the Week.

studthug12, Tarheel316 and Tweener like this.
  4. JRoyal

JRoyal Well-Known Member

Sadly true

5. Pilot

Pilot Well-Known Member

6. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

7. Pilot

Pilot Well-Known Member

Everything I’ve heard about Greeley since it was last in the news is that it is in a bad, bad place financially, so yeah, surely more layoffs, but I don’t think there’s much fat to be cut.

Guess we’ll see.

8. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

There surely isn’t any fat. They’re down to the bones.

9. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

Just like the meat-packing plant in town, the new owners will grind up the bones of that newspaper and hope the public keeps buying it.

Tarheel316 likes this.
  10. LanceyHoward

MediaNews already owns papers for cities within 50 miles distance in Loveland, Longmont, Boulder and Denver. If the Greeley paper is not already printed at the Denver Post plant it soon will be. And operations will soon be consolidated with the other other small newspapers.

The owners, Swift Communciations, also owns several mountain town papers in Colorado. Are they also being sold to MediaNews? The story seems to imply that but does not actually say if the papers are sold.

I read that Yelp has crushed the revenues of resort town newspapers. In pre-internet days a resort town a tourist would buy a paper and look at the ads for restaurants, etc. Now a tourist simply looks at Yelp on his mobile phone. I wonder what is going to happen to those papers.

11. Pilot

Pilot Well-Known Member

The resort papers were not included. It was just Greeley.

I think some of the mountain papers are healthier than others, but none were in as bad of shape as Greeley.

FWIW, the Swift resort papers are free. (Some other mountain papers do charge, but the resort communities don't.)

12. LanceyHoward

Where has Greeley been printed?

Draft saved Draft deleted